Duplicate addresses

Sully38

Board Regular
I have a table with 400,000 records that was imported from Excel. The file is clean and contains Comp. Name,Contact,secondary Cont, address, state,zip. I am trying to remove any and all duplicate records from this file based on Company name, Conatct, then secondary contact. I have tried the duplicate records query but that removes all the records. How can I remove all the dupes but leave one of the record. Is this possible through queries or do I have to code a procedure. Any Help is appreciated.

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
You can use a Make Table Query to create a new table that removes all duplicates. Here is how:

1. Build a query, selecting all the fields you want to use in the dup checking
2. Click on properties, and toggle the "Unique Values" value to "Yes"
3. Change the query type to a Make Table query
4. Run the query, entering in the name of your new table

Upvote 0
The Find duplicates query wizard should have worked just fine, while I like jmiskey's approach too, though I try to make queries fully "visibly" defined in the query builder because I fairly rarely view the SQL (though sometimes you have no choice). (And until that post, I didn't even know there WERE properties on queries. It took 4 tries for me to find them!)

Anyway I suspect your duplicates really aren't duplicates. If you think there are 12 records for company "Gulf Oil" in field [Comp name] in the table, try this test. I'll base this on the query builder but you can work straight from SQL if you want. Start a new select query, make your only field
"<" & [Comp name] & ">" and run it. Then rerun it after hitting view/totals. The difference between the two results should reveal something - perhaps impelling you to get busy with Trim or Upper or something.

The acid test would be doing the above test with this sole field:
"<" & [Comp name] & ">" & "<" & [Contact] & ">" & "<" & [Secondary cont] & ">" & "<" & [address] & ">" & "<" & [state] & ">" & "<" & [zip] & ">"

Unless you misused the wizard in the first place, I don't think that jmiskey's approach will get you any further. (And again, jmiskey, your advice is always fine.) I suspect you'll want to try something like the technique I've shown. Hopefully it will help you get a "better handle" on the data, or point you to a better definition of the duplication "definition."

Considering the chances of those particular 6 fields being spelled, nicknamed, 5-digit vs. 9-digit, etc. EXACTLY the same ... I'm not at all surprised that the duplicate query found nothing.

Upvote 0
Well, good, whatever you did. I just noticed that I neglected to state that the above "testing" / data analysis is made more practical by using some degree of limiting criteria. IOW I should have said, put "*Gulf*" in the company name criteria above.

AAR you're welcome, and thanks for reporting back.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majbizzaki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back