Due date "IF" formula Format

dragonmouse

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a spreadsheet that has multiple "due" dates. I would like to highlight either the cell or at least the text to a color IF the maintenance due date is within 7 days of current date. In a nutshell a widget may require different types of maintenance for various frequencies. (most commonly 1, 7, 14, 28, 56,168 and 336). Not all widgets require maintenance for ALL frequencies. Most only require maintenance on one or two of the frequencies. For example a Widget may require a power on test every 14 days, and may require a dust blowing every 168 days.

Today's Date is 21-Jan-2016
Current calculations:
A1: Date Complete (17-JAN-2016)
B1: Maintenance Date Frequency (14)
C1: =IF(M3=14,$H$3+M3," ") If B1 has a frequency listed it will return a maintenance due date of 31-Jan-2016 otherwise if B1 is blank it will return BLANK.

IF the date returned in C1 is 7 days or less than the current date 21-JAN-2016, I want to be able to quickly spot it by a change in text color or cell highlight. and I'd like this change to occur in cell C1.

Any help will be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Hi dragonmouse,

Does your IF statement in cell C1 display the correct value? If so you could use this in your conditional formatting rule to highlight the cells that match the criteria.

Sorry if I've misunderstood, if I've got it wrong/you're unsure what I mean let me know.

Upvote 0
Hi,

You can use the first conditional formatting formula (highlight yellow) for what you described, I've included a 2nd conditional formatting formula incase you want the cell also highlighted (red) if the date returned in C1 has past (past due?)

Excel 2010
ABC
11/29/2016
21/25/2016
31/18/2016
Sheet1

Code:
=C1-7<=TODAY()
Format Yellow

Code:
=C1< TODAY()
Format Red

Put these conditional formatting rules in C1 as you described.

PS: One other thing, your C1 formula =IF(M3=14,$H$3+M3," ") puts a "SPACE", not a "BLANK", in the cell if M3 does not equal 14, which could cause problems with formulas and calculations, you might want to change the formula to: =IF(M3=14,$H$3+M3,"")

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back