Drop-down lists suddenly won't work.

Pat from Indy

Here's my situation:
I have a 5-sheet Excel workbook where I have one sheet titled "Lists". These are where the drop-downs reside. I named them (Insert/Name/Define), and then on the individual sheets I added the drop-downs where necessary via Data/Validation/Allow List and inserting "='Name of List'". This worked fine. Suddenly, out of the blue, though, the drop-downs won't work on only ONE SHEET! When you select a cell, the little gray box with the down arrow appears in the corner, but none of the lists appear. The other sheets still work fine.

This workbook is used by approximately 6 other users, so possibly someone has changed something, but for the life of me I can't figure out what. I tried, as a test, adding the drop-down back into one of the columns, but I get an error message telling me that the source currently evaluates to an error. Compared to the other sheets, I see no difference in how I'm doing this function. Could it just be a 'bad' sheet or corruption of some sort?

Thanks for any ideas. p.s: I am NOT a power Excel user, so speak plainly! ;)

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Thanks for the reply, but no, I'm on 2000, on an NT 4.0 machine.

Just to be sure, I tried disabling the freeze panes, but that had no effect (no 'good' effect, anyway). :confused:

I'm starting to wonder if I should just replace the sheet entirely.

Upvote 0
...and, are you sure the dynamic range is actually working ? when the list is generating an error, you can see the dropdown button in the cell, but nothing happens when you click it...

Upvote 0
No. no hidden cells or strange formatting. This is a pretty straightforward (though wide) spreadsheet.

You've stumped me on the 'dynamic range' reference. Can you explain further? Yes, as you said, the button shows up, but no list appears when you hover over it. It's this way on the whole sheet; there are at least a half dozen lists spread throughout.

Thanks again for your suggestions so far!

Upvote 0
Sorry, I get carried away sometimes... :D when you go to Insert | Name, Define... and you select the list that you're having problems with, and you click once with the mouse, in the refers to box, do you see the 'marching ants' ? and, are they poining at the correct range ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Priti_190

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back