Double-Click PivotTable Item without Displaying Excess Records

Data Bender

Thank you for reviewing my post.

When double-clicking a PivotTable value, how does one limit the records displayed?

For example, it makes intuitive sense to see only one record, when double-clicking the value of 1 in the following PivotTable:

pivottable-prescreenings.png

However, I get the following nine records instead:

pivottable-doubleclick.png

The desired result, of only the one record displayed, would appear as follows:

pivottable-doubleclick-goal.png

One more thing.... The file may not have macros, because many end-users view the reports on Macs. :(

I look forward to your help.

Sincerely,
--Data Bender

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
In my experience (up to Excel 2003) the records you see are strictly only the one/s related to the PT cell double clicked.

If you're certain that isn't the case, suggest you post some sample data to have others confirm. A bug would be unlikely but maybe there is one?

Otherwise, all I can suggest is you disable the drill down. With macros not available, I'm not sure what else to suggest. Maybe a re-design of the report - perhaps some modification to the pivot table's dataset?

regards

Upvote 0
In my experience (up to Excel 2003) the records you see are strictly only the one/s related to the PT cell double clicked.

If you're certain that isn't the case, suggest you post some sample data to have others confirm. A bug would be unlikely but maybe there is one?

Thank you for your reply, Fazza.

You're right. Those nine records (of several thousand) are strictly the only ones related to the PT cell double clicked. Excel is totaling all nine records related to "Software-Defined Storage Architect." (I.e., 1 + (8 * blank) = 1) So, it's not a bug. I'm just looking for a workaround.

Otherwise, all I can suggest is you disable the drill down. With macros not available, I'm not sure what else to suggest. Maybe a re-design of the report - perhaps some modification to the pivot table's dataset?

Since my boss said that the drill down "is money," disabling it is not an option.

I'll continue to investigate modifying the dataset. However, that has negatively affected other columns thus far.

(BTW, I'm using Excel 2010.)

Thanks, again.

--Data Bender

Upvote 0
As far as I know, there would be no way to do what you want without code, or rearranging your data.

Upvote 0
As far as I know, there would be no way to do what you want without code, or rearranging your data.

:(

Thank you for your reply, Rory.

At the very least, I can now show expert opinions to my boss, that his request is beyond Excel's capabilites. :)

Upvote 0
BTW, when I wrote about modifying the dataset, I was thinking of using SQL in between the source data and the pivot table: not changing the actual source data. This may or may not be able to achieve what you want. regards

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back