Does size matter?

Daisy_Bumbleroot

This could save my life this morning

Someone emailed me yesterday with an email address and asked if I could send something urgent.

They gave the email address as [removed]
I entered it on as [removed]

They never got it, so before I start mouthing off that I put the email address in correctly - I just need to check –"case size don’t matter"... does it?

Edited by Von Pookie

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Upper case / lower case characters in the e-mail address shouldn't matter. Although I receommend you edit your post to remove their e-mail address before it is picked up b a 'spam bot' and they get inundated with spam.
Andrew :)

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

(The email address i entered was totally fake, it was a load of random letters bashed on the keyboard as a fake email address. I put it in to highlight what i had done).

Can anyone else tell me a bit more about upper and lower case in emails? i would like to show off my knowlegde to this person when they get back to me in a few days....

Ta muchly

Hi

It looks like I was almost right - it depends on the settings of the server at the recipients end. Often e-mail servers are configured to not differentiate between upper and lower case characters in the e-mail address. However, that's not to say that this didn't happen in your case.

Ordinarily if an e-mail message could not be delivered to the intended recipient's domain, you would receive a 'bounced' message from your ISP stating the message could not be delivered. If the message reached the recipients domain server, but there was no-one with the e-mail address you supplied, then you would ordinarily receive an automated reply from their postmaster stating the message could not be delivered or there was no-one with that address.

Assuming you received neither message then there is a good chance the message got through. More information on e-mail's etc here

Andrew :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bekerinik

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back