Does anyone else have this thread open ?

arthurbr

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi
sometimes, while answering a thread, I a message that there is a new post in the open thread.
This usually means that while I was working, a solution was provided as someone else was working on it
Is there any way to see who has the thread opened ? In case someone else " seems" to be working on it, I might then choose not to waste time answering.
(Especially if the "someone" is one of the Guru's around here...)
For example at EF, you can see who has the thread open and decide to work on it or not.
Thanks

You can see who is viewing which thread by using the Members->Current Visitors page. Additionally, you can also see the status of a member by moving or clicking (once) to the member's avatar, unless the member preferred to hide their current status.

However, displaying the members who are viewing a thread in that thread is not something coming with the original software for a very good reason. Although it is theoretically possible to make it work with custom programming, the required query set will have a big impact on the database server, and we don't have any plan to implement such functionality in the MrExcel Message Board.

OK, thanks for the tip. The" Current Visitors" option will help, although not as easily as suggested. It's a pity that it can be implemented in the old vBulletin used by EF, and not here.

It's a pity that it can be implemented in the old vBulletin used by EF, and not here.
We don't use vBulletin anymore. We are using XenForo.
There is always advantages/disadvantages when changing software platforms, though from my experience, the gains have far outweighed the losses.

Is there any way to see who has the thread opened ? In case someone else " seems" to be working on it, I might then choose not to waste time answering.
(Especially if the "someone" is one of the Guru's around here...)
Quite frankly, I wouldn't worry about it. And just because someone is viewing it, doesn't means that they are actually replying to it.
I would just go ahead and reply, and not worry so much what other users might be doing. Even if you are the first to reply, it does not mean that someone may come along a little while later and post a better solution (it happens to me all the time)! I think it is beneficial to show the user that quite often, there are multiple ways to solve a question.

I do like that it does tell you if others have replied while you are replying, so you can see what others have posted before hitting reply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bale626

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back