DLookup - help with understanding

TR21Mark

Board Regular
First, I have read all 53 topics on this matter and I am still having problems with such an easy thing.

I have a form ( frmFaxCover ) which has a combobox showing a list of my Contacts names. What I need to happen is when I select the name from the combobox, it populates the next field with thier fax number.

Contacts - name of table where both ContactName and FaxNumber field exist
ContactName - text
FaxNumber - text

frmFaxCover:
combobox item selected is stored in FaxCover Table under ContactName when selected

current syntax:
=DLookup("[FaxNumber} "," Contacts ","[ContactName] = '" & Me!FaxNumber!Contacts & "'" )

Note- I put brackets aroun FaxNumber after Me! but when I close they are removed.

Please help me if you can, and appreciate all the help I can so much.

Mark

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
I take it that the curly bracket is a typing error! Try this syntax.

=DLookUp("[Expression]", "Table/QueryName", "[PrimaryKeyField] = Forms![CurrentForm]![Criteria]")

Upvote 0
Has not been able to work yet. I have even built a new DB with 2 tables and tried on a new form and does not work.

I have lost so much sleep over something so simple.

Is there VB code that I could use to trigger the same thing as DLookup. I have lloked and searched this board and found some I think would work, but here is my problem - I am not sure what to change the terms to fit my db tables and names.

I am new to VB so please be gentle with me.

Thanks to all.

Upvote 0
Should it not just be:

=DLookup("[FaxNumber] ","Contacts","[ContactName] = '" & Me!Contacts & "'" )

Upvote 0
I keep getting the following errors displayed in the text box:

#error

#Name

Do I need to separate the information into 2 separate tables? I will try a couple more DLookup in another form and check to see if my table could be bad or something.

Thanks to all

Upvote 0
OK, I have not been able to get anything to work I have researched hundreds of posts here, msdn library, internet, and Access Help for the past 3 full days to no avail.

I have however got it work by creating a combo box with both the Contact name and fax number with the fax number hiddin in the combo box dropdown. I then went to the textbox and typed =Combo39.column(2) and it works exactly how I want.

Here is the new problem. I need to store the selected record into a table, but since by control source is the combo box it is not stored.

Question - Can I enter something on the after_change event for the textbox to send to the proper field/table?

Thanks for all the help

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samue Thon Ajaladin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back