Dlookup based on bound control lookup combo box

Udaman

I have a form called [BrakesExpress1QueryForm] where I have a text box [txtFrontRotors] that I want to put a Dlookup formula in the Control Source properties.

I am looking for the field [FrontRotorPart] from table [BrakePartsGroup] based on [AssetGroup]. In the table [BrakePartsGroup] is the field called [AssetGroup] which is a lookup to another table called [AssetGroups]. Because this is a lookup the data format is a number. So I am trying to match up [AssetGroup] on my form to [AssetGroup] in my table [BrakePartsGroup].

So here is my code that returns an #Error

Code:
=DLookUp("[FrontRotorPart]","[BrakePartsGroup]","[AssetGroup]='" & [Forms]![BrakesExpress1QueryForm]![AssetGroup] & "'")

So I thought maybe it's because it's a number data format, so I adjusted my code:

Code:
=DLookUp("[FrontRotorPart]","[BrakePartsGroup]","[AssetGroup]=" & [Forms]![BrakesExpress1QueryForm]![AssetGroup])

This now returns a value of 575.

Is my problem related to the data formats from my lookups in my table? Or am I just missing something simple?

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
I forgot to mention that the [FrontRotorPart] is also a lookup to the [Parts] table, which therefore has a number data format. I wasn't sure if this was part of the problem, but doesn't hurt to mention it.

Upvote 0
So in playing with it some more, I was able to use the code to lookup a cost value, and it worked. So my formula appears to be correct, it's just not converting the number to text. I have this issue on another post in this forum that I wasn't able to get resolved. So if I can find a fix for this here, it will provide me with a fix for my other post too. I keep researching, but if anyone knows the fix, please feel free to save me some time.:)

Upvote 0
Well, I didn't find the fix, but I did find a work around. What's happening is in my tables, I use the lookup wizard to provide me with a list of items to choose from. This is fine in some cases, but in this particular case, it's causing more problems than it helps. So instead I broke those relationships, and reset the data format to short text, and I just typed in the value I wanted instead of choosing from a list. Now all my Dlookups work just fine. Perhaps someday I'll figure out how to make it work with lookups, but for today I move forward with what works.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRASHLEY

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back