Divide results are not correct

paultje_bos

Hello,

I am trying to create a query that divides 2 results of a different query. But the results I get are not consistent.

The divide expression is as follow: USAGE: [Query1]![SumOfFootprint]/[Query1]![Deckspace]

For instance, if SumOfFootprint = 21, Deckspace = 702, you would expect the result would be 0,029915, but Access gives me 2,9915. But with 178 and 702, it gives me the correct result 0.25356.

Can anybody tell me how this is possible, and more important how this can be avoided.

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
If the record(s) with the calculation has some sort of identifier, I'd open the first query, find that identifier and see if the values being passed to the second query are what you expect. It could be that they are not, but I doubt it. I also note that you are using mixed decimal separators in your post 0,029915 and 0.25356 so there may be a conflict between some formatting you've employed at the table/query level versus your regional settings. You could also be mixing number types (integer and floating point decimal). As a last result, try multiplying the calculations by 1. There is/was a bug in 2007 Excel that could cause incorrect display of the true value when fpn's were involved. Any further calculation on the number caused it to display incorrectly, so I'm wondering if *1 would make a correction. You don't say which version of Access you're using, and I realize this is not an Excel question, but I brought it up because I'm grasping at straws by now, thinking the same bug might exist in Access.

Upvote 0
Might be a matter of display confusion. I get 2.99145 also when I do this. But then I expand the column and I see the result is really 2.99145299145299E-02

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt3388

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back