Disproportionate RecordSet size?

ClimoC

I have 2 csv's, one 30mb the other 150mb.

Once they're recordsets, comparison code begins. Values from the 30mb csv are appended to the extra columns I added to the RS from the 150mb file.

It's been running for ages now (a lot of comparisons to do) - and with each passing moment, the RAM being taken up to hold the Recordsets in memory is growing... now up to 522,000kb

My question is why? I'd understand 20-50mb for Excel, 180mb for the records (though I'd hope less, since it's data in memory, not API stuff).

In my head, it would be Excel memory + both the workbooks size into memory + both the workbooks as recordsets in memory + the 30 on top of the 150 (once they're merged in memory via the script)

This would still only get to 450-480mb of Ram in my head... why am I (at time of writing) now up to 531,000kb?

PS there's no ADODB memory leak in my code - no infinite loops - no unhandled errors

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
If you're appending records then one recordset is getting larger while the other is not shrinking so I'd expect memory usage to increase.

Upvote 0
If you're appending records then one recordset is getting larger while the other is not shrinking so I'd expect memory usage to increase.

Well yeah... The recordset's not getting any longer, it's just actually filling 5 extra columns with data from the other recordset.

Still though... I appreciate why it's getting larger... I just thought it'd stop by now. 543,000kb now, being used on 2 recordsets, 2 workbooks (no idea how much ram is dedicated to those, they don't form part of the script once they're put into recordsets)...

Unless my debugging to the immediate window is also doing something...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back