Displaying complex project data in an easy visual way

damianjmcgrath

Board Regular
I have a spreadsheet with a large amount of complex data, related to work projects.

There are 50 projects varying in size between Small, Medium and Large. Each project has 8 activities associated to it. Depending on the size of the project, each activity is assigned an amount of days. At the moment, these are a fixed number, for example, if the project is Small, then Activity 1 is 5 days. If the project is Medium, then Activity 1 is 10 days, etc.

Under each activity, there is a list of 18 teams. Some, not all, teams are assigned some work within each activity, and this work can be concurrent. For example, under Project 1, and under Activity 1, (so a total of 5 days), Team 1 might be assigned 2 days, Team 2 assigned 2 days, Team 3 assigned 2 days and Team 4 assigned 2 days. This equals 8 days in total, but because the teams can work concurrently, this fits within the 5 total days.

At the moment, my spreadsheet is split into 2 sheets.

Sheet 1 has the following columns:
- Project Name
- Size
- Start Date
- Activity 1 Length
- Activity 2 Length
- Activity 3 Length
- Activity 4 Length
- Activity 5 Length
- Activity 6 Length
- Activity 7 Length
- Activity 8 Length
- Total Length
- End Date

Sheet 2 has the following columns:
- Project Size
- Team 1 Length
- Team 2 Length
etc down to Team 18 Length

What I need is some sort of chart, like a Gantt chart maybe, that shows me all of the projects and activities, using the Start Dates and Lengths to show where each activities starts and ends. The activities are done one at a time, so when one ends, the next one starts.

On top of this, I need a way of plotting on the teams. Not sure how, but the objective is to see when each team is too busy. Perhaps by colouring the bars differently, so I can visually see how often it appears in the same week/dates? I have no idea how to start this.

I can probably put together a basic Gantt chart showing just the activities, but it's the teams information that's confusing me.

Does anyone have any pointers to give me? If anyone can mock something up, obviously using much smaller volumes, I can scale it up accordingly. I just need something to start with!

Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Hi Damian,

This may be a real eye chart with 18 teams.

Here is my sample.
GanttProjectsAndTeams2.png

Here is more information on Gantt chart basics:
How-to Make a Basic Gantt Chart in an Excel Chart in 7 Easy Steps

Let me know if this helps

Steve=True

Upvote 0
That looks almost exactly what I wanted! That's ridiculously good. Is there any way at all I could get a copy of that spreadsheet so I can amend it with the correct details? Can I PM you my email address?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdallah bennani

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back