Did they read my reply to PM?

erik.van.geit

MrExcel MVP
Hi, all,

It appears to me that this question hasn't been asked and I hope that I'm missing something simple.

When I reply to a PM the icon "read or unread" appears immediately in blue instead of orange. So it looks like it has been read, probably because "I" have read it?

Same problem for you too?

kind regards,
Erik

Hi Erik,

I believe that would be the case with the blue envelope, yes.

However, if you scroll down further when writing a PM you will see some checkboxes. One of those boxes allows you to receive a "read receipt" that informs you when a message has been read. However: when the user reads that message, they see an option to not send the receipt. So if they read it and don't want to send a receipt, you won't know.

You can test it yourself, even. Just send yourself a PM :)

Last edited:
Thank you for your response, Kristy!

Do you see the point that it appears as blue, while it should be red?
test:
sent to yourself & check inbox: icon is RED
read the message: becomes BLUE
reply to yourself : inbox RED icon :p, but sentbox BLUE :confused: (read!!)

best regards,
Erik

PS: the reason why I ask is, to clean up my sentitems box when message is read

I don't really know the settings for this vbulletin software as well as I do/did the phpbb software. I'm not sure if the PM works the same way in regards to a message appearing in the 'out box' or 'sent box' when unread/read as before.

I can check on it, though :)

thanks!

To my sense it is important to know if someone really has read your reply; without having to "ask" it (read receipt).

Yep, I understand. I'm not sure if this software will allow you to be able to tell if it is read or not. While with the phpbb board it would move the message from 'outbox' to 'sentbox' if it was received, I can also see how that could be considered a 'privacy' issue. I don't know the vbulletin stance on it. And the recipient can cancel a 'read receipt' request, too, so that's not totally reliable.

My plan is to ask about the PM specifics on the vBulletin support forum, but I will not be able to do this until later this evening. I'll let you know when I learn anything :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reelspike

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back