Developing a Lot Tracking Inventory system with QR Codes/Barcodes and Updating Ability

Easilyy

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I want to make a program that tracks which station each of my projects is at using barcode scanners. My small business deals with putting certain lots through certain stations, kind of like an assembly line but the line is a snake that wraps around it self a couple times over and ties itself in knots. I want to be able to print a qr or bar code, slap it on the shell, and send it off to its first station. Then at that station, the operator would scan it, work on it, and send it off to the next station. The next operator would scan in and continue working on the product. During this time, I should be getting updates on my front end showing where each product is, as well as what others have reached that same station and are in queue. If a certain tool is down, I can change the status of the tool to "down." I want to be able to tell how many lots went through a certain tool so I can price the project at the end of everything. I've tried making a couple simple programs in excel, they've "worked" but not to the extent that I want. Especially because sometimes lot 1 and lot 2 can combine and become lot 1.2. Excel has trouble stopping the other 2 lots and realizing that they're one lot now. This program would obviously have some tweaks to it as it goes, but this is the general gist of it.

For example, if Project Golf has 3 lots and 2 of them are at Station Light and one was skipped to Station Plate, I want to be able to scan a barcode on the physical product (hopefully generated by this program) and for my database or program to understand what station Project Golf is currently in, as well as how many of those lots went through Station Light and which ones went to other stations. Then for the program to display that information somewhere for me to calculate the cost of ownership of that project.

Currently I am thinking of using VBA, Excel, and access, are these programs able to handle this kind of project? For reference, I am a decent coder in VBA and SQL, as well as making macros, so technical help is encouraged.

Any help is welcome!

PS. Using Excel 2019

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back