ArPharazon

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
  2. 2013
  3. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
I've been around and around with IF, MATCH, COUNTIF and some other options with no luck outside of a lot of #SPILL errors.

I have 13 "Network ##" values, 1-13 in any of 10 columns in any given row. The CMMS system I use doesn't leave them in a single column when exporting.

I want to return whatever the value is (ex: "Network 1") into a blank cell in a new column, then drag that down so each unique value is in the single column.

Please help. This is driving me bananas right now.

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Upvote 0
I'm not sure if I understand just what you want, but:

MrExcelPlayground19.xlsx
BCDEFGHIJKLMNO
1Silly Way for older excelExcel 2016
2Network 1Network 1Network 1
3Network 2Network 2Network 2
4Network 5Network 5Network 5
5Network 9Network 9Network 9
6Network 3Network 3Network 3
7Network 8Network 8Network 8
8Network 7Network 7Network 7
9Network 4Network 4Network 4
10Network 10Network 10Network 10
Sheet16
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
M2:M10M2=B2&C2&D2&E2&F2&G2&H2&I2&J2&K2
O2:O10O2=CONCAT(B2:K2)
I should have added that wherever the value exists, the cells before it are populated. I am looking at CI3:CR3 in the example and hoping to return the value to CS3.

With some of the other formulas, I was getting a "4" (4th cell in the first row) or "Yes". But whenever I tried a formula I thought would return the value, no luck.

1690919704775.png

Upvote 0
An Excel savvy co-worker sent me a shorter version of this formula (5 iterations) that I expanded that works. It's fairly complicated and I'd still love to find a simpler formula that's able to use the range CI3:CR3. I'm not even sure what the repeating "7" represents.

=IF(LEFT($CI3,7)="Network",CI3,(IF(LEFT($CJ3,7)="Network",CJ3,(IF(LEFT($CK3,7)="Network",CK3,(IF(LEFT($CL3,7)="Network",CL3,(IF(LEFT($CM3,7)="Network",CM3,(IF(LEFT($CN3,7)="Network",CN3,(IF(LEFT($CO3,7)="Network",CO3,(IF(LEFT($CP3,7)="Network",CP3,(IF(LEFT($CQ3,7)="Network",CQ3,(IF(LEFT($CR3,7)="Network",CR3,"Not Found")))))))))))))))))))

1690977462113.png

Upvote 0
This makes it much easier to do!

MrExcelPlayground19.xlsx
BCDEFGHIJKLM
2Network 1Network 1
3SillyGooseNetwork 2Network 2
4SillyNetwork 5Network 5
5SillyGooseSillyGooseSillyNetwork 9Network 9
6SillyGooseSillyGooseSillyGooseSillyNetwork 3Network 3
7GooseSillySillynot found
8SillyNetwork 7Network 7
9GooseSillyGooseSillyGooseSillyGooseGooseSillyNetwork 4Network 4
10GooseSillyGooseSillyGooseGooseSillyNetwork 10Network 10
Sheet14
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
M2:M10M2=IF(LEFT(INDEX(B2:K2,1,COUNTA(B2:K2)),7)="Network",INDEX(B2:K2,1,COUNTA(B2:K2)),"not found")

The "7" in the other formula takes the 7 left characters of the cell - and sees if they are "Network". If this works, you'll be Golden.

This formula counts the number of items in the row and takes that last one. It will break if there are any blanks before "Network" or anything after "Network" that you don't want to return.

Upvote 0
Solution
For a row, is it possible to have something like this (where a non "Network" value appears AFTER a "Network" value?
If so, what should be returned in this case?

1690978955757.png

Or if a Network value does appear in a row, will it always be in the last populated cell in columns CI-CR?

Upvote 0
This makes it much easier to do!

MrExcelPlayground19.xlsx
BCDEFGHIJKLM
2Network 1Network 1
3SillyGooseNetwork 2Network 2
4SillyNetwork 5Network 5
5SillyGooseSillyGooseSillyNetwork 9Network 9
6SillyGooseSillyGooseSillyGooseSillyNetwork 3Network 3
7GooseSillySillynot found
8SillyNetwork 7Network 7
9GooseSillyGooseSillyGooseSillyGooseGooseSillyNetwork 4Network 4
10GooseSillyGooseSillyGooseGooseSillyNetwork 10Network 10
Sheet14
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
M2:M10M2=IF(LEFT(INDEX(B2:K2,1,COUNTA(B2:K2)),7)="Network",INDEX(B2:K2,1,COUNTA(B2:K2)),"not found")

The "7" in the other formula takes the 7 left characters of the cell - and sees if they are "Network". If this works, you'll be Golden.

This formula counts the number of items in the row and takes that last one. It will break if there are any blanks before "Network" or anything after "Network" that you don't want to return.
This worked well, thanks! It only #SPILLs when there is nothing within the selected range.

ex: =IF(LEFT(INDEX(CI17:CR17,1,COUNTA(CI17:CR17)),7)="Network",INDEX(CI17:CR17,1,COUNTA(CI17:CR17)),"not found")
1691006357775.png

For a row, is it possible to have something like this (where a non "Network" value appears AFTER a "Network" value?
If so, what should be returned in this case?

View attachment 96455
Or if a Network value does appear in a row, will it always be in the last populated cell in columns CI-CR?
It's a weird system. No matter where I might put a given value in the selected range of cells (portfolios in this case), the next time I export, it's back in whatever order the system wants.

I thought it was alphabetical looking at other exports, but that went out the window with this list. It is alphabetical within the actual Portfolio section of each record.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back