Design Question

cornishteeth

Board Regular
I am planning to create a database and need a little guidance on how to get started. I want to create a dB that tracks students going through our command and assign an instructor to each student (sort of like a mentor to the student) I understand how to create the input form for the students information and whatnot. What I can't comprehend is how would I automatically assign a next sequential instructor from a table of instructors. How can I enter the information for a student and at the end, the next instructor from the list appears. At the end of the instructor list, it would then begin again at the top. Any guidance on how to do this would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Frank

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
I have not thought this all the way through but assuming that you have a table structure that will let you group by instructor, and do a count on students, then you can just make a query sorted ascending and pick the instructor off the top each time. Whilst this may not give you your instructors in strict rotation it will ensure that no instructor gets two students until everyone has at least one.

HTH

Peter

Upvote 0
The problem is the ratio between instructor to students. There are way more students than instructors, so an instructor could ultimately have more than one student.

Upvote 0
that is not a problem as by taking the min it would just keep pulling out instuctors untill every instuctor had a student before pulling an instructor a second time

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JuanMark10

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back