Dependent drop down lists selection outputs filtered data

jackley21

Hello,

I work in the IT department at my job and we have these large excel spreadsheets that our are "employee templates." These are to help us know which employees in which departments are to get what applications, access, etc. I am currently working on making these templates more user friendly but I am running into a few snags.

ff7p5s.jpg

Above is an example of what our templates are like and what I am using to try and figure out what I am trying to accomplish. The templates are organized with a header of the department, and then more headers of the job titles within that department. Then the x's say what applications or access that job title is supposed to get.

My goal is simple: I want sheets in excel holding the data like the image above and then another sheet to filter the data. I want one drop down to list the available departments to pick from and then another dependent drop down that lists only the job titles for the department that was selected in the first drop down. Then, based on the job title selected, it outputs the name in the row of whatever column has a x in it (so if Job2a is selected it lists that Application 2, Application 6, and Application 8 are needed)

I have not messed with filtering the data yet, I've only been trying to get the dependent drop downs to work so far and I'm having trouble. Dependent drop downs are not hard to create, however, I am having a problem with how these templates are set up. I can't seem to get the dependent drop down to recognize the job titles because the data is spread across columns instead of rows

And help on how to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back