Dependent data validation

Dani_R

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and hoping to get some help. I know this has been asked before however I am looking to do something without having to use VBA or macros.
I currently have 2 columns (Column D and Column E), column D contains a data validation list of Cities and column E is a dependent data validation list that then provides a list of buildings (that my company has offices in) depending on what city is selected. I understand that in order to reset column E if column D is changed I need a VBA code, but im wondering if there is a way to create an error message instead that looks up from a table whether what is in column E matches what is in column D i.e. if city chosen is Sydney (column D) then Column E can only be Building A, Building B or Building C, if city chosen is Melbourne then Column E can only be Building D, Building E or Building F.

Does that make sense? And is that possible? Or is VBA my only option?

Thanks so much in advance!

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
check this out:
http://blog.contextures.com/archives/2013/10/10/dependent-drop-down-list-from-a-row/

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and hoping to get some help. I know this has been asked before however I am looking to do something without having to use VBA or macros.
I currently have 2 columns (Column D and Column E), column D contains a data validation list of Cities and column E is a dependent data validation list that then provides a list of buildings (that my company has offices in) depending on what city is selected. I understand that in order to reset column E if column D is changed I need a VBA code, but im wondering if there is a way to create an error message instead that looks up from a table whether what is in column E matches what is in column D i.e. if city chosen is Sydney (column D) then Column E can only be Building A, Building B or Building C, if city chosen is Melbourne then Column E can only be Building D, Building E or Building F.

Does that make sense? And is that possible? Or is VBA my only option?

Thanks so much in advance!

Upvote 0

Thanks for the link but this only seems to create the dependent data validation (which I have already done), it doesnt help me create the error if for example BUilding D is selected which only relates to Melbourne, but then the city is changed to Sydney, BUilding D still remains in column E unless the user goes into the drop down and updates it. Therefore it is possible to have incorrect data in column E.

Is my only options to use VBA to reset the cell in column E if the coresponding cell in column D is changed?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Thanks for the link but this only seems to create the dependent data validation (which I have already done), it doesnt help me create the error if for example BUilding D is selected which only relates to Melbourne, but then the city is changed to Sydney, BUilding D still remains in column E unless the user goes into the drop down and updates it. Therefore it is possible to have incorrect data in column E.

Is my only options to use VBA to reset the cell in column E if the coresponding cell in column D is changed?

Thanks

Search a bit in the contexture blog. There is a way to actually prohibit previous column from changing.
http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html

or this...
http://chandoo.org/wp/2014/02/25/robust-dynamic-cascading-dropdowns-without-vba/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back