Density Altitude Calculation?

richblake74

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
A strange question but I know someone will know this.
I am trying to come up with a Formula for Density Altitude..

DA = density altitude in feet
P0 = atmospheric (static) pressure
PSL = standard sea level atmospheric pressure (101.325 kPa)
T = true (static) air temperature in kelvins (K) [add 273.15 to the Celsius (°C)] figure
TSL = standard sea level air temperature (288.15 K)
b = 0.235

Is there anyone aware of a formula, that can be used on excel for this problem?

I cannot seem to post the formula.

Just a stab in the Dark here.
Merry Xmas to you all...

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Thank you, so where would I put the linked cell in this formula?
It just does not seem tot work for me right now. Excel is questioning the 2...

A1 is the altitude, and in B1 I would like to get the density altitude based on the temp in cell A2, and the altitude in A1.
A1 lets say equals to 1,500ft
A2 equals to 15 Degrees C
I would like the Density altitude result in cell B1
Can this be done.

Cheers

Upvote 0
You could really help out by providing the actual math you want done rather than forcing us to rely on wikipedia to get the thing you want calculated.

So no, I cannot tell you how to do it because I don't know what P0 would be at 1500 feet since you didn't give the calculation.

If you want the answer, then you have to provide more than what you have.

Upvote 0
Density Altitude = Pressure Altitude + (Standard Temperature / Standard Lapse Rate) * (1-(Standard Temperature / Actual Temperature)^0.2349690)

Standard Temperature and Actual Temperature are in degrees Kelvin and the Standard Lapse Rate is .0019812°C/ft below the tropopause.

Therefore if cell A1 is Pressure Altitude and cell A2 is Actual Temperature in degrees Centigrade the formula for cell B1 (Density Altitude) would be:

=A1+((288.15-0.0019812*A1)/0.0019812)*(1-((288.15-0.0019812*A1)/(273.15+A2))^0.234969)

http://williams.best.vwh.net/avform.htm refers.

Upvote 0
Greetings and apologies for breathing new life into what is patently an old thread... but, in trying to crack a similar problem I found this site, thread and formula. I've been playing with it over the last couple of days, and think maybe there is a discreet bug somewhere in here.

If for example, across a range of pressure altitudes, you manipulate the temperature in °C to ISA+10, the resultant Density Altitude is always Pressure Altitude + 1161 feet. Now, I'm no mathematician -just a pilot trying to create a solution. It strikes me however, that the resultant DA should probably not be quite so remarkably linear. I expected that as PA increases, the difference between PA and DA would likewise increase, despite a constant ISA+ difference.

Am I being too singular in my thoughts? Any assistance would be appreciated!

regards

RS

Upvote 0
RS,

In a "Standard Atmosphere" Density Altitude = Pressure Altitude.

Ignoring the effects of humidity, in a non-standard atmosphere at a particular pressure altitude the non-standard thing is the temperature. As the temperature varies from standard the density will vary from standard: warmer less dense, cooler more dense. For dry air it is a linear relationship.

For a one degree temperature change away from standard there is a 116 feet difference in Density Altitude hence for your ISA + 10 the formula will give the 1161 feet.

Google "Density Altitude", there are many explanations out there. The aviation formulary Aviation Formulary V1.46 has an approximation formula of: D_Alt=P_Alt+118.6*(T-T_s) Here they are using the constant of 118.6 feet per degree but again the approximation is a linear relationship.

JB

Last edited:
Reactions: shg
Upvote 0
Many thanks for he clarification JB -I must have slept thru that part of my Meteorology "education". In my defence perhaps, I have never been accused of being a world-class student... and it was quite som time ago!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lurch65

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back