Deleting elements of an array

aashir272

Hi. I have this function that is supposed to delete the element of an array at a required index. All input arrays start from 1 and are 2-dimensional. However, at the ReDim stage, it gives me an error that says subscript out of range. I can't seem to figure out what is wrong with the code.

Sub DeleteElementAt(ByVal index As Integer, ByRef required_array As Variant)
Dim i As Integer

' Move all element back one position
For i = index + 1 To UBound(required_array)
required_array(i - 1, 1) = required_array(i, 1)
Next
required_array(i - 1, 1) = -1

ReDim Preserve required_array(1 To i - 2, 1)
End Sub

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
a ReDim Preserve only allows you to change the LAST element of the array. You are trying to change the first.

It would have to be: ReDim Preserve required_array(1, 1 To i - 2)

But of course, to do that you will have to transpose your array.

Probably be easier in the end to just create a new second array with one less element, then read your original array in to the new one.

Upvote 0
Hi. I have this function that is supposed to delete the element of an array at a required index. All input arrays start from 1 and are 2-dimensional. However, at the ReDim stage, it gives me an error that says subscript out of range. I can't seem to figure out what is wrong with the code.

Sub DeleteElementAt(ByVal index As Integer, ByRef required_array As Variant)
Dim i As Integer

' Move all element back one position
For i = index + 1 To UBound(required_array)
required_array(i - 1, 1) = required_array(i, 1)
Next
required_array(i - 1, 1) = -1

ReDim Preserve required_array(1 To i - 2, 1)
End Sub
Since it is always going to be a two-dimensional array, formed from a range I presume, and since you will be removing the equivalent of one of the rows from that presumed range, then the following code should do what you want...
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td]Sub DeleteElementAt(ByVal Index As Integer, ByRef ArrayIn As Variant)
  Dim X As Long, Indices As String
  For X = 1 To UBound(ArrayIn)
    If X <> Index Then Indices = Indices & ";" & X
  Next
  ArrayIn = Application.Index(ArrayIn, Evaluate("{" & Mid(Indices, 2) & "}"), Split("1 2"))
End Sub[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Upvote 0
Rick,

I used the above method and it started giving me an error in the function below:
'This function calculates k*stdev for a p chart
Function p_stdevs(ByVal multiple As String, ByRef n_values As Variant, ByRef x_values As Variant, ByVal flag As Integer) As Variant
Dim p_bar As Double
Dim n_bar As Double
Dim m_stdev() As Variant
Dim count As Integer
ReDim m_stdev(1 To UBound(n_values))
p_bar = Application.WorksheetFunction.Sum(x_values) / Application.WorksheetFunction.Sum(n_values)
n_bar = Application.WorksheetFunction.Sum(n_values) / Application.WorksheetFunction.count(n_values)
multiple = CDbl(multiple)
For count = 1 To UBound(n_values)
If (flag = 0) Then
m_stdev(count) = multiple * Sqr((p_bar) * (1 - p_bar) / n_bar)
Else
m_stdev(count) = multiple * Sqr((p_bar) * (1 - p_bar) / n_values(count, 1))
End If
Next
p_stdevs = m_stdev
End Function
it says "unable to get the sum property of the worksheet function class". Could the two be related since this error only came when I implemented the function you suggested?

Upvote 0
Rick,

I used the above method and it started giving me an error in the function below:
'This function calculates k*stdev for a p chart
Function p_stdevs(ByVal multiple As String, ByRef n_values As Variant, ByRef x_values As Variant, ByVal flag As Integer) As Variant
Dim p_bar As Double
Dim n_bar As Double
Dim m_stdev() As Variant
Dim count As Integer
ReDim m_stdev(1 To UBound(n_values))
p_bar = Application.WorksheetFunction.Sum(x_values) / Application.WorksheetFunction.Sum(n_values)
n_bar = Application.WorksheetFunction.Sum(n_values) / Application.WorksheetFunction.count(n_values)
multiple = CDbl(multiple)
For count = 1 To UBound(n_values)
If (flag = 0) Then
m_stdev(count) = multiple * Sqr((p_bar) * (1 - p_bar) / n_bar)
Else
m_stdev(count) = multiple * Sqr((p_bar) * (1 - p_bar) / n_values(count, 1))
End If
Next
p_stdevs = m_stdev
End Function
it says "unable to get the sum property of the worksheet function class". Could the two be related since this error only came when I implemented the function you suggested?
First of all, I would remove the parentheses from the blue highlighted text... you are going to assign an array to the Variant variable... the Variant variable does not have to be a dynamic array for such an operation. Second, I'm confused by your question. The red highlighted line is creating a one-dimensional array, not a two-dimensional one (I don't see any other arrays in the function), but no matter since I do not see you calling the DeleteElementAt subroutine anywhere inside this function (so how could it be producing an error for you?). When or where are/were you planning on calling the DeleteElementAt subroutine?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsalaki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back