deleting duplicate records

chegra26

Board Regular
I have two records in access where I need to delete duplicate fields from one table
Table 1 has 1645 records
Table 2 has 889 records

I need to delete the records in Table 1 that have the same information as table two.
The field is called Student ID so I need to delete the student ID in table 1 that contains the same student id as in table 2.

I need help with the delete query.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
for the future you need to make sure your key does not allow duplicates, i'm not sure how to deliberately find the duplicate lines

Upvote 0
Its from two different tables. I'm trying to compare the two tables and delete out the duplicates in one of the tables.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you are sure student id is a unique value in each table, AND no id is in both tables but belonging to different students, you should be able to join both tables on student id and set the query type to be a delete query. In query design, choose the table and id field from the drop downs that you want to delete from. In the 'delete where' row, put something like tblA.ID = tblB.ID. I doubt you have set any 'cascading deletes' in table relationships for either of these tables, but if you have, you could end up deleting from other tables. I'd check the relationships window before doing this.

I think that would do the trick. NOTE: MAKE COPIES OF THESE TWO TABLES BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS TYPE OF EXERCISE IN CASE IT GOES WRONG.
I doubt you have set any 'cascading deletes' in table relationships for either of these tables, but if you have, you could end up deleting from other tables. I'd check the relationships window before doing this. Maybe it would be better if you copied the entire database with the tables instead of just the tables.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deasejm

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back