Deleting a post

jharvey_22

I'm relatively new to this message board. I don't understand how one deletes a post or even edits a post. After the initial post, an edit button appears; but after you close out the window, I can't get it to show up again. Any thoughts? Thanks!

It isn't a matter of closing out of the post - there is a time-limit of 10 minutes to edit your post. We generally don't like posts being deleted as it can make the thread meaningless to read if subsequent posts are referring to the deleted one.

If you decide your post wasn't quite what you wanted and the edit time has expired, the general rule would be to reply to your own post with clarifying information.

If you happen to have posted personal data that needs removing, or something abusive or unacceptable for a public forum etc and want it removed, use the 'Report' button at the top right of your post and give an explanation of the problem. That will send that message to the Moderators with a link to the post and the Moderators will decide on any action to be taken.

On a related note...

Are deleted posts really deleted (completely removed from the forum) or are they just marked as "deleted" and not visible to the average user? Moderators and admins can see them, right?

I'm guessing the latter as that seems to be the way it's done at other forums.

In terms of deleting your own post, my recollection is that only MrExcel MVPs and above can do that and yes, such deletions are really just hidden from general public view. If Mods/Admins want to see them they can.

If Mods/Admins delete a post then they have the option of a similar delete (ie hidden) or a complete removal. The former would be the most common.

In terms of deleting your own post, my recollection is that only MrExcel MVPs and above can do that and yes, such deletions are really just hidden from general public view. If Mods/Admins want to see them they can.

If Mods/Admins delete a post then they have the option of a similar delete (ie hidden) or a complete removal. The former would be the most common.
Thanks, Peter!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugubara

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back