Delete Query with Join

conleyle

I hope this is an easy one, but I can't figure it out even after lots of googling. I'm trying to run a delete query where two tables (T_Instrument_Registry and T_CustomerList) are joined by [Cust_Rep_Office] and [Distributor #]) and match. But I keep getting an error to "Specify the table containing the records you want to delete." Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is what I have.
DELETE T_Instrument_Registry.[Distributor #], T_Instrument_Registry.Segment, T_Instrument_Registry.Item, T_Instrument_Registry.Cust_Rep_Office, T_Instrument_Registry.Qty, T_Instrument_Registry.[Initial or Update], T_Instrument_Registry.[Date Updated], T_Instrument_Registry.[Previous Distributor], T_Instrument_Registry.Comments

FROM T_Instrument_Registry INNER JOIN T_CustomerList ON (T_Instrument_Registry.[Distributor #] = T_CustomerList.[Distributor #]) AND (T_Instrument_Registry.Cust_Rep_Office = T_CustomerList.Cust_Rep_Office)

WHERE (((T_Instrument_Registry.Cust_Rep_Office) In (SELECT [T_Instrument_Registry].Cust_Rep_Office

FROM [T_Instrument_Registry] LEFT JOIN [T_CustomerList] ON [T_Instrument_Registry].Cust_Rep_Office = T_CustomerLIst.Cust_Rep_Office

WHERE ((([T_CustomerList].Cust_Rep_Office) Is Null)))));

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Delete Queries can be a little tricky, especially if multiple tables are involved.
What I like to do is first create a query that identifies the records I want to delete. Which field (or fields) uniquely identifies the records to be deleted?
Then I nest that in the WHERE clause like this:

DELETE [Table1].*
FROM [Table1]
WHERE [ID_Field] in
(SELECT ID_Field
FROM...
...)

So the blue text is the Query Code for the query identifying the records to delete.

Note, that since you are deleting the WHOLE record, there is no need to list out each field after the word DELETE in a Delete Query. You are deleting the whole record, not just certain fields in that query.

Upvote 0
I just found a super easy way to do this and thought I would share in case anyone else was looking. I set up my Select Query linking the two tables. Then, I opened up the Property Sheet for the query and changed Unique Records to Yes. And it worked. No SQL needed. Sweet.

Upvote 0
I just found a super easy way to do this and thought I would share in case anyone else was looking. I set up my Select Query linking the two tables. Then, I opened up the Property Sheet for the query and changed Unique Records to Yes. And it worked. No SQL needed. Sweet.
Note that is NOT the same as a delete query. That just suppressed/hides duplicate records. It does NOT physically delete any records like a delete query would.
If you just hope to suppress duplicate records, there are a few ways of doing it. One way is the way you described. Another way is to use an Aggregate (Totals) Query.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craigvan888

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back