Delete Draft does not work as I expected

joeu2004

Banned user
Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
When I click Delete Draft, it takes effect (i.e. presents an empty reply frame) only after I close the window and open a new window on the thread.

Is that the intended behavior? (Surprise!) Or am I doing something wrong?

Is that the intended behavior?

Yes, it is the intended behavior. A draft is the stored data on the server-side for later use.

When you are writing a message, the text editor saves it every 60 seconds to make sure you don't lose what you wrote so far in case of a session timeout. Or, it also lets you continue your post at a later time since the saved draft will be stored for 24 hours.

If you click on Delete Draft and reload the page, then the editor will be loaded as empty since there is no saved draft.

The draft mechanism works separately for each thread. This means each message you started writing and saved as a draft, manually or automatic, will be saved separately for each thread you are replying to and will be presented as you wrote for each thread next time you open that thread to continue writing.

However, Delete Draft doesn't mean deleting the content of the current editor. For that, you just select all the text in the editor and delete it.

If you click on Delete Draft and reload the page, then the editor will be loaded as empty since there is no saved draft.

That does not work for me (Firefox 83.0), if by "reload the page", you mean simply clicking the browser reload-page icon (or press ctrl+R in Firefox).

As I said, I have to completely close the window and open a new window.

However, Delete Draft doesn't mean deleting the content of the current editor. For that, you just select all the text in the editor and delete it.

Thanks. Simple enough. Not sure why I never did that. (Klunk!)

That does not work for me (Firefox 83.0), if by "reload the page", you mean simply clicking the browser reload-page icon (or press ctrl+R in Firefox).
Yes, simply revisiting the page. Interesting. We are constantly monitoring the software updates and bugs, and there is no reported bug or a known incompatibility with Firefox. When you click on the Delete Draft and go away from the page without waiting so long, otherwise it will resave the draft, then it should not keep the previously written content.

When you click on the Delete Draft and go away from the page without waiting so long, otherwise it will resave the draft

I'm not very good at "going away" and "not waiting too long". My attention span is too short to allow for distractions.

No matter. Ctrl+A and Delete works just fine. I also reload the page, just for good measure. But I think I found that's not necessary. I'm taking the time to experiment as carefully as I normally do.

Bottom line: all good. Thanks.

PS.... +Quote is working very nicely for me, now that I know how it works. Thanks again for the explaining that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MNexcelguy19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back