Define Name Dialog

ryal001

Board Regular
I just received Chapter 39 of Learn Excel From Mr Excel (great book!) and noticed the "Gotcha" on page 132 (figures 235 and 236) which highlights the problem of using the left or right arrow in the "Refers to:" input field which immediately inserts a cell address.

This has probably been addressed (no pun intended) but I can't find anything on this forum and there doesn't seem to be an errata page for the book so:

Bill suggests dragging with your mouse to highlight the whole formula so you can get to the end without using the arrow keys. A simpler method is to click anywhere in the "Refers to:" filed and then press "F2". As soon as you do you can safely use the arrow keys without inserting cell addresses.

Update: Actually, I just found the same tip at ExcelChampion.com http://excelchampion.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4. I don't know how I found out about it orginally, I may have read it or just tried it because F2 is usually used to rename things so there is a vague kind of connection.

Cheers,

Rob

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Yes - a great tip. Typing F2 changes the notice in the left corner of the status bar from Point to Edit to Enter and completely solves the problem of using this box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lugen

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back