Decimal places in Tables

Teeboy

Board Regular
I cant get access to display a number in decimal format every time i enter a number e.g. '23.45' access rounds it down or up depending on the number of course. the same happens when entered in a form. I have tried various options in the field properties but nothing works. It must be simple to do. :oops:

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Yes! The number stays as decimal but still rounds. e.g. 23.98 defaults to 24.00. Weird!

Upvote 0
Are you looking directly at the table, or a query or a form value? Each one of these levels could be changing the formating of the value? Talk about too much flexibility. Could be that it's rounded at a different level?

Cal

Upvote 0
You mentioned at the beginning that you were entering the numbers via a form. Following on from Cal's suggestion I recommend you look at the form design to see if the particular box into which you enter the number is changing the format. If you have a look at the properties of the box and report back anything unusual (e.g. an after update macro, a rounded "format" or an unsual control source value etc.). Also, if you look at the query that the form is based on, does the query include anything that looks like it is rounding the value?

HTH, Andrew. :)

Upvote 0
I have stripped it back to the table and when entering numbers in they do not work 24.98 still goes in as 25.00 :confused:

Upvote 0
I take it that you have checked the table design and confirmed the problematic field is not an integer, it is a "double" field size and has "2" in the decimal places box?

Have you tried creating a new table with the same fields and testing that? If you can get the new table to retain the decimal places then you could copy the data across from your original table to your new table. To preserve your queries, forms and reports you could then rename the old table to [yourtablename_old] and rename the new table as the original table name. I realise this hasn't addressed the issue but it may resolve the problem.

If you can't get this to work, is there a global setting on the PC that is over-riding the decimal places?

HTH, Andrew. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iours

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back