DCMA Protection

Since there is no such button, i would say it was a google ad.

Since there is no such button, i would say it was a google ad.

But there is definitely a button. It's in your code sir.

Upon clicking that button, it advised that all contents on MrExcel.com, including but not limited to, code, images, text etc, are the intellectual property rights of the ower of MrExcel.com. This was slightly concerning given the very nature of this community, hence why I asked about the button.

Edit: The button:

dmca_copyright_protected150b.png

Last edited:
Not a sir.

When you said button - i thought you meant an actual button. That's a label/image. My eyes were looking for a button.

It's basically repeating what's in the Terms of Use you agreed to when you joined the forum.

Not a sir.

When you said button - i thought you meant an actual button. That's a label/image. My eyes were looking for a button.

It's basically repeating what's in the Terms of Use you agreed to when you joined the forum.

Sorry about that Ms. Tracy :)

I would like to further clarify that the Terms of Use, which I agreed to upon registering for MrExcel.com, are not infact what is being outlined in that DCMA notice.

Terms of Use:
Copyright
All content included on this site, such as text, graphics, logos, images, and software, is protected by U.S. and international copyright laws. In addition, the compilation (that is, the collection, arrangement and assembly) of all content on this site is the exclusive property of MrExcel. The trademarks, logos, and service marks displayed on this website are trademarks of MrExcel and others. Except as otherwise expressly provided, nothing contained on this website should be construed as granting, by implication, estoppel, or otherwise, any license or right to use any content or trademark displayed on this website without the written permission of MrExcel or such third party that may own the content or trademarks displayed on this website.

You retain the ownership of any content (text, programs, and other materials) you post or otherwise submit to this website. However, in connection with such posting or submission, you will be deemed to have expressly granted (or warranted that the owner of such rights has expressly granted) to MrExcel a perpetual, royalty-free, irrevocable, nonexclusive right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, and distribute such materials or incorporate such materials into any form, medium, or technology now known or later developed, whether commercial or non-commercial in purpose.

However, this DCMA notice is in contradiction to that statement:
Protection: All original content on http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/ is created by the website owner or published under permission including but not limited to text, design, code, images, photographs and videos are considered to be the Intellectual Property of the website owner, whether copyrighted or not, and are protected by DMCA Protection Services using the Digital Millennium Copyright Act Title 17 Chapter 512 (c)(3). Reproduction or re-publication of this content is prohibited without permission.

Not that I am posting anything of great importance, or otherwise really care how any code is used, I'm just saying: there is a discrepancy between the two.

ok, I'm nowhere near a lawyer and I'm sure one could argue this to death - but, to me, the difference is slight. Yes, the Terms of Use say you retain ownership of what you post, but MrExcel is granted full right to do with it what they want. I guess what that means is if you post it here, you still have the right to republish it where you want, though technically, other users shouldn't?

Now - the DCMA says all original content is created by the website owner or published under permission (yadda, yadda) becomes the intellectual property of the site.

I don't see it at odds. The DCMA is really made to protect us from having other sites mirror us (which is actually a problem).

The Terms of Use protect the site from a member trying to sue because code they posted is used in an article Bill writes. The DCMA protects the site from being copied.
But that's just my understanding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kramb

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back