DB Structure for CD Database

march madness

Hi,
I found a template for a music db, and I've decided to use it for my CD database. I am inputting information through forms. It has a Recordings form, where the fields are Title, Artist, Genre, numTracks. Then there is a subform within, called Recordings Subform. It's fields are: TrackNum, TrackName, TrackLength.

It works great when the CD is just by one band or artist, but when I have a soundtrack, or a mix I've made, I've no place to put in the various artists. I'd put "Various" in the "Artist" field of the Recordings form, but then, it would show "Various" as the artist for each of those songs. Ideally, I'd have an "Artist" field within the Recordings Subform that would autofill with the artist name if the "Artist" field in the Recordings form was anything but "Various." If it was "Various," then I'd fill in the names of the artists next to the individual track. What's stopping me from doing this (besides the autofill which I don't know how to do, I'd just copy and paste an entire column)? Setting up the relationships and making the reports. It would seem to me that in the majority of my collection, I'd be repeating a ton of information in the Subform when I have a CD that is not a mix or a soundtrack, since my collection is mostly CDs done by one artist, and not soundtracks or mixes.

So does someone have a good idea how I could tweak the template to elegantly accomodate inputting mixes and soundtracks?

I've seen posts with screenshots of Excel or Access in this forum, and I don't know how to do it. I could point you to the template that I downloaded, and you could see what I mean. If someone would also tell me how to post a screenshot, I'd do that.
Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smllchng5

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back