DATEDIF

Warn users that DATEDIF can be unreliable?

• Total voters

ExcelChampion

Given that the DATEDIF worksheet function is unreliable, would it not be wise to inform the users asking for assistance that, if called for, the DATEDIF function may not calculate correctly? For instance, compare the two formulas below:-
Code:
=DATEDIF("11/30/05","01/31/06","m") 

=DATEDIF("11/30/05","02/28/06","m")
It is my understanding that the reason DATEDIF is not documented is because it has a bug. Should we not preface our solution to this fact?

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Hello Excel Champion

Given our discussion elsewhere, you probably won't be surprised at my view :)

I think it's entirely appropriate to warn of potential problems with any formula or function, given particular circumstances or data.

I have no idea why DATEDIF is not well documented but I'm not sure you can describe the above as a "bug" any more than the issues with floating point arithmetic.

In my view this is just the way DATEDIF works.

In a similar vein, if A1 contains the date 31-Dec-2006 and you use the formula

=DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+2,DAY(A1))

you get a result of 3-Mar-2007

Does DATE have a bug?

Barry, I highly respect your opinion and take it into consideration. Your example is food for thought.

I am very interested in others' opinions as well...

Yeah this is more a converstaion than a discussion at the moment.....

My last word on this (for now at least).....here's an example of a DATEDIF result which, I would suggest, might back up your view more than mine expressed above :cry:

A1 contains 30-Nov-2006
B1 contains 1-Mar-2007

=DATEDIF(A1,B1,"md")

returns -1

FWIW

As DATEDIF does not accept the local date format as e.g. TEXT I find it not logic and it causes confusion in local versions.

E.g.

=TEXT(A2,"y") must be =TEXT(A2,"å") with swedish date settings while =DATEDIF(A1,A2,"y") must remain as is.

Maybe I'm just a bit slower'n the average bear, but I'm not seeing any bug. :huh:

DateDif() is truncating the remainders of the month. DateDif("11/30/xx","12/28/xx","m") returns 0, and ...1/28/xx+1... returns 1 month, so why wouldn't ...2/28/xx+1... return 2 months?

Same w/ Barry's example (i.e. I don't see the "bug"). You're asking Excel to tell you the date for "February 31<sup>st</sup>". Wouldn't that be "March 3<sup>rd</sup>"?

<sup>edit</sup> Oh. Just saw Barry's second post about crossing February using "md" for third arg. Jan-31 to Mar-1 returns a -2. I would call that a bit of a bug. Alas, I can't change my vote... Now, the real question is, "will I remember this should I opt to use DateDif() for something two years from now"? <sub>/edit</sub>

Maybe I just can't see it, but if the last day of November to the last day of January is 2 months, then is it not logical to say that the last day of November to the last day of February is 3 months? But, according to Datedif, it is not 3 months, it is 2 months! That just seems like a bug to me.

But, I'm really trying to see it the other way. It's like an optical illusion to me...if I stare at it long enough maybe it'll pop out at me

...but if the last day of November to the last day of January is 2 months, then is it not logical to say that the last day of November to the last day of February is 3 months?...
~xlchamp

Based on observation, don't look ta me like "Last day of the month" has got anything to do with how it works. It's looking at "have I gone past the same day in the following month?". Eg: DateDif("10/31/xx","11/30/xx","m") returns 0.

Based on observation, don't look ta me like "Last day of the month" has got anything to do with how it works. It's looking at "have I gone past the same day in the following month?". Eg: DateDif("10/31/xx","11/30/xx","m") returns 0.

This exactly why I think it's buggy. A "month" is not determined by an absolute number of days. A "month" is determined by how many days are in a predefined time span.

Ugh, I guess I just need to accept it...

This exactly why I think it's buggy. A "month" is not determined by an absolute number of days.

I don't think you can determine a "month" by an absolute number of days because not all months have the same number of days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikachi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back