Date missing leading zero even with date format of dd/mm/yyyy in Excel

Surreybloke

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
The data that I'm working has been downloaded from Salesforce, and wouldn't normally be an issue, but for some reason this month, I am have problems. We have a close date field, start date field and a last stage change date field. Some of these fields will sometimes be blank. Where the month is January to September, it doesn't have a leading zero in the data due to having to use Salesforce in a United States date format, rather than for the United Kingdom where this would not happen.

I have a column that looks at the MAX (or most recent) date and automatically retrieves that from the date fields that come through in the raw data, as mentioned above. For some reason this month, the MAX formula is sometimes populating a date of 01/00/1900 even though not all the date fields are blank. This has never previously happened in the years of working on this data before.

I have found that by manually adding a zero in front of the month to the close date that it automatically replaces the 01/00/1900 with a valid date.

My question is whether there is a faster/automated way of being able to do this. Concatenation would be one way but would be quite a faff as not all rows have this problem, thereby making it harder to correct the affected rows. The same issue would arise by converting to a text format from the date format.

Many thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
It sounds like your dates have been brought in as text. If you use the text to columns wizard you can fix this - specify delimited and leave all the delimiters unselected in step 2, then in step 3 specify the date format you have in use (eg DMY).

Upvote 0
Solution
It sounds like your dates have been brought in as text. If you use the text to columns wizard you can fix this - specify delimited and leave all the delimiters unselected in step 2, then in step 3 specify the date format you have in use (eg DMY).
Perfect - that has resolved the issue. We believe Salesforce has been changed from what it was up until last month, so it sounds like as you say, that they have changed the dates to a text format.

Thank you very much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlidster87

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back