Date Join Issue

Peter Thompson

Hello,

I am having issues getting a join to work. The issues I am having appears to be due to the transaction date.

There are two tables the data table (Oracle_Transaction_Data) has a standard date time format with both the data and the time showing, while the Date table has just the Date. In order to get the tables to join I have used int on the date time field in the subquery, which should then enable it to be joined to the date table, however, I get the message "The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to add. Try inserting or pasting less data."

Code:
SELECT C.Store_Name, 
b.Transaction_Date,
sum(B.Net_Sales) AS Net_Sales, 
Sum(B.Quantity) AS Quantity, 
Count(B.Transaction_Number) AS Transactions, 
Sum(B.Net_Sales)/count(B.Transaction_Number) AS ATV, 
D.ISO_WEEK_NUMBER

FROM (SELECT a.shop AS Shop, int(A.Date_Time) AS Transaction_Date, a.transaction AS Transaction_Number, sum(A.Net_Value) AS Net_Sales, sum(A.quantity) AS Quantity 
FROM Oracle_Transaction_Data AS A
GROUP BY int(A.Date_Time), A.shop, A.transaction)  AS B, 

Stores AS C, 
Date_Table AS D

WHERE B.shop=c.store_number 
And B.shop=15 
And B.Transaction_date =d.date

GROUP BY c.store_name, b.transaction_date, b.transaction_number, d.ISO_WEEK_NUMBER;

Does anyone have any ideas.

Thanks,

Peter

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
dont use INT (too small), use CLNG ,to convert to a big #.

or convert the dates to the same format , format([date],"mm/dd/yyyy")

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick response.

I have done what you suggested below. However, no it brings back no data, but I know that some data should be bought back.
It appears to me that it must be the subquery that is causing the issue as when I try and run the in isolation it gives me the message "Invalid Use of Null", which I don't understand as I cant see any Nulls in the data.

Have you any futher ideas? Is there a way of telling which record access thinks contains the null.

SELECT C.Store_Name,
b.Transaction_Date,
sum(B.Net_Sales) AS Net_Sales,
Sum(B.Quantity) AS Quantity,
Count(B.Transaction_Number) AS Transactions,
Sum(B.Net_Sales)/count(B.Transaction_Number) AS ATV,
D.ISO_WEEK_NUMBER

FROM (SELECT a.shop AS Shop, clng(A.Date_Time) AS Transaction_Date, a.transaction AS Transaction_Number, sum(A.Net_Value) AS Net_Sales, sum(A.quantity) AS Quantity
FROM Oracle_Transaction_Data AS A
GROUP BY clng(A.Date_Time), A.shop, A.transaction) AS B,

Stores AS C,
Date_Table AS D

WHERE B.shop=c.store_number
And B.shop=15
And clng(B.Transaction_date) =clng(d.date)

GROUP BY c.store_name, b.transaction_date, b.transaction_number, d.ISO_WEEK_NUMBER;

Upvote 0
See if you can coerce your date_time value to a serial number. Easiest way is to paste a value into Excel and format it as a general number. If you are dealing with date AND time values, this number contains a decimal point. As I write, it is 42240.9435. Longs cannot contain decimals, so that approach will/may not work. You might have to covert it to a Single (Csing). However, I suspect one of your fields is text data type, because you should be able to compare "dates only" against date/time fields without all this bother. I have done this many times before. The only issue I ever had was using the > or >= operators against a date/time field (you have to add time to the ending date using DateAdd function, otherwise it is cut off at 00:00:00 hour).

If the subquery runs ok as part of the whole, I think the other issue is that it cannot stand alone. You could also try starting from the beginning and build this in parts until it fails, but I suggest you try my other suggestion first.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
well one of the tables is named
Oracle_Transaction_Data

so I don't know what he's doing

maybe it's a linked table, maybe it's imported

but if it's linked I believe he can do a passthrough query and use oracle specific functions

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samue Thon Ajaladin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back