Database Size

Gary_Mc_Mahon

Board Regular
Hi,

I have a databas which records many status' and dates for progression of an order. There is an imput form the users input through.

Each time this form is opened the database size increases by 5M, any ideas what I'm doing wrong and how I can keep the size down besides compacting the database.

Cheers,
Gary

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Sounds weird, unless you are continually deleting and/or creating queries or other database objects when you open the form. In my experience, changing the database structure can cause size blowouts but just adding records is not usually a problem.

Denis

Upvote 0
How big is your database before you compress it? Also, how many indexes are there in the underlying data table(s) that is / are being accessed through the form?
Andrew

Upvote 0
Before I compact there it can jump up to 300M, then down to less than 2 when compact.

I have many drop down combo boxes with underlying data in several tables but the main form data feeds into three different tables with each filed having an on update procedure to track all changes made by the users.

Hope this helps.
Gary

Upvote 0
Following on from Andrew's comment -- maybe the multiple combos are causing you problems (the data fields that they use are indexed). If those fields change regularly, you'll be rebuilding indexes and bumping up the database size.

EDIT -- This article from Microsoft KB says that changing SQL statements will increase DB size http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;165823
This article says that using DAO can be a problem http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197953

Maybe they'll point you in the right direction

Denis

Upvote 0
Thanks for the pointers Denis, I'm not sure what I can do to get round this problem. Any obvious suggestions I'm missing?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt3388

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back