Database events

jg2469

I am looking for another way of having a database run code on startup other than using the autoexec macro. Is there an Open event for an Access database??? Please help!! Thanks!

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
I'm not sure if there is. However, you can set which Form you want to appear when the database is opened through Tools-Startup, code written in the Load event of that form will then run on opening the database.

Upvote 0
I need to have everything done through code. I am making front end applications and would rather the startup procedure be executed through code only being that making a db into a mde only compiles code and leaves users the ability to edit macros and change startup options.

Upvote 0
Hullo. Is this for an internal user base? If so, education is a step you cannot ignore. When I was producing applications for internal use, I gave a detailed training session, and let the users know that it works the way it was designed. If they decided to alter the design, not only would they be in violation of company policy, but they would be on their own.

Now, if this is for an external user base, I strongly recommend doing your front-end in some form of VB. That way, the users will have no options.

HTH (y)

P

Upvote 0
It is internal and have no other means of making the application other than using Access. I suppose I will just have to makedo. Thank you for the suggestions!!!!

Upvote 0
Hullo. Another thought: When you set up the db, BEFORE converting to an MDE, are you sure you are locking down everything you want? And, have you looking into Access security? If you secure the db, and don't give the users permissions to alter macros, modules, and what not, you should not have a problem.

Just another idea.

P

Upvote 0
I have tried that route but cannot really get how it works. Granted, I haven't looked into it with great detail, but when I had, I didn't really "catch on" to how to manage it. Currently each user that logs into the database is considered an admin. If you wish :p you can give me simpler instructions on setting this up. If not, I'll try and research it a little better. Thanks for your help once again!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkotas

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back