Data Validation with Complex sentences

toady

Help! I’m a humanitarian aid worker stationed in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Sudan</st1:place></st1:country-region>, I’m in charge of monitoring and evaluation for a very complex program and I inherited tools (excel databases) that are very unuseful. I work with seven partners and all of them report on three objectives. Eight sub-ojectives and 117 indicators. To make it easier for them to report I’m trying to make drop down menus dependent on what is entered into a previous cell this is easy if you only work with one or two words, but in order to be clear I need my entire sentence in there: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
So when someone puts in one of the three objectives: <o:p></o:p>
1. Enhance the capacity of state and county/locality governments to plan, manage and provide services to citizens.<o:p></o:p>
2. Improve relationships between local government and its constituents to ensure more democratic and transparent local governance.<o:p></o:p>
3. Deliver concrete improvements in livelihoods, education, health and water and sanitation that reinforce support for peace and contribute to government capacity for transparent, participatory planning and delivery of services.<o:p></o:p>
I only want the sub-objectives for that objective to come up, so let’s say they choose objective three I only want the following sub-objectives to come up:<o:p></o:p>
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 160.8pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" class=MsoNormalTable border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=214><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 0.25in" height=24><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 160.8pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.25in; PADDING-TOP: 0in" height=24 vAlign=top width=214 noWrap>3.1 Improved health services<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 25.5pt" height=34><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 160.8pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 25.5pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in" height=34 vAlign=top width=214>3.2 <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Improved</st1:City> <st1:State w:st="on">WASH</st1:State></st1:place> service and infrastructure<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 25.5pt" height=34><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 160.8pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 25.5pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in" height=34 vAlign=top width=214>3.3 Improved access to sanitation services<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 25.5pt" height=34><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 160.8pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 25.5pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in" height=34 vAlign=top width=214>3.4 Improved education services and infrastructure<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 25.5pt" height=34><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 160.8pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 25.5pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in" height=34 vAlign=top width=214>3.5 Improved livelihood opportunities<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Then depending on which sub-objective they choose I only want the indicators for that sub-objective to come up. <o:p></o:p>
So if they choose sub-objective 3.1 the following indicators come up: <o:p></o:p>
# of staff trained (<st1:place w:st="on">COs</st1:place>, midwives and CHWs) each year on RH/FP topics<o:p></o:p>
# of target health facilities providing improved FP/RH services according to MoH’s comprehensive package of health services.<o:p></o:p>
# of MCH units in PHCC rehabilitated, equipped and furnished according to BPHS standards <o:p></o:p>
# of clean delivery kits distributed<o:p></o:p>
# of people trained in maternal/newborn health through USG-supported programs<o:p></o:p>
# of supported health facilities have a constant stock of properly managed life-saving anti-malaria commodities (except mosquito nets)<o:p></o:p>
# of individuals that use anti-malaria commodities<o:p></o:p>
# of insecticide-treated nets distributed with USG funds<o:p></o:p>
# of deliveries with a trained traditional birth attendant (TBA) and/or maternal and child health workers (MCHW) in USG-assisted programs<o:p></o:p>
# of children under 5 years of age who received vitamin A from USG-supported programs <o:p></o:p>
# children less than 12 months of age who received DPT3 from USG-supported programs<o:p></o:p>
Percentage of children less than 12 months of age who received DPT3 from USG-supported programs<o:p></o:p>
Percentage of assisted deliveries by trained health service providers in USG supported counties<o:p></o:p>
# of County Health Offices in place and resourced within 2 years<o:p></o:p>
# of trainings for 1 county office supported<o:p></o:p>
# CHD fully supported to implement and monitor FP/RH programs including EPI<o:p></o:p>
# of quarterly meetings held to promote and organise health stakeholder meetings between state and county<o:p></o:p>
# of reports on RH, EPI, Morbidity submitted to State authorities during the year<o:p></o:p>
# of clinical staff trained in basic clinical skills<o:p></o:p>
# community health committees supported and given refresher training/follow up each year<o:p></o:p>
# coordination meetings with county official and community committees each year<o:p></o:p>
Can you tell me how to do this; is it possible? <o:p></o:p>
Thank you in advance, <o:p></o:p>
Toady

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
This is indeed possible.

Consider this simplified example.

Let's say you want to control input to Cell A1 to either A, B or C.
Then, depending on what you input into A1, you want to control input to Cell A2 to either A1, A2, A3 if A was entered, B1, B2, B3 if B was entered, and C1, C2, C3 if C was entered.
I think this is analogous to your request.
In cell A1, set data validation, using list, and specify the possible values, either directly, or by reference to a range.
Somewhere on the worksheet, let's say in Cells B1:B3, enter a formula that calculated the acceptable values, based on what was input to cell A1.
This is the formula for B1.
Code:
=if(A$1="A","A1",if(A$1="B","B1","C1"))
This is the formula for B2.
Code:
=if(A$1="A","A2",if(A$1="B","B2","C2"))
You can work out what it needs to be for B3.

Then, in cell A2, set data validation, using list, and specify B1:B3 as the range containing the acceptable values.

See what happens as you input different values to A1.

Upvote 0
Hi Mr. Excel, the formula isn't working for me, I'm using excel 2003 and my lists are on a different sheet;

But I also think I'm missing a step, because what I want is if you enter Objective 1 into A2 then I want the choices to be B2:B5, Objective 2 into A2 then I want the choices to be B6:B9.

I'm sorry I'm still very confused.

Thanks,

Tiana

Upvote 0
1) I'm not Mr Excel :biggrin:
2) Use Range names if the data is on different sheets.
3) That's fine, but use another range to look up the range that applies.
For example
Code:
=if(A2="YES",B2,B6)
and so on. Use THIS range as the source for the data validation.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back