Data Validation question

mcomp72

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
I am trying to create data validation where the choices the user has is limited to what is in another column. I've created a simple example so you can see what I mean.

Screenshot (456).png

In Column A are my "categories". In Column B are the specific "choices". Each choice belongs to a category.

(On a different sheet I will have the data validation drop-down, but for the sake of this example I've put them on the same sheet.) I will have a column that has a row for each category that exists (Column D in my screenshot). In the next column I want there to be a drop-down list in each row, where the choices are from Column B, but the only choices listed should be where the value in the Column D cell matches Column A. For instance, the only choices for Fruit should be Banana & Apple.

To make it more complicated, the number and names of the categories will be changing, and the number of choices will be changing. So I need this to work dynamically.

I have looked at many web pages and forum posts about how to do this, but all of them are pretty complicated. They all require me to create "helper" columns. For instance, I could create a column for Fruit, another for Veggie, and another for Dairy. In each column I could have it list only the choices for that category. But since the number of categories will be changing, that becomes a little complex to deal with. Before I go that route, I wanted to make sure there wasn't an easier way to do it. It seems like there should be a way to do what I am wanting to do without any helper columns. Perhaps there's a formula I could use in the data validation that would do it? I don't have a lot of experience with data validation, so I don't quite understand all the ins & outs of it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
I am trying to create data validation where the choices the user has is limited to what is in another column. I've created a simple example so you can see what I mean.

View attachment 117771

In Column A are my "categories". In Column B are the specific "choices". Each choice belongs to a category.

(On a different sheet I will have the data validation drop-down, but for the sake of this example I've put them on the same sheet.) I will have a column that has a row for each category that exists (Column D in my screenshot). In the next column I want there to be a drop-down list in each row, where the choices are from Column B, but the only choices listed should be where the value in the Column D cell matches Column A. For instance, the only choices for Fruit should be Banana & Apple.

To make it more complicated, the number and names of the categories will be changing, and the number of choices will be changing. So I need this to work dynamically.

I have looked at many web pages and forum posts about how to do this, but all of them are pretty complicated. They all require me to create "helper" columns. For instance, I could create a column for Fruit, another for Veggie, and another for Dairy. In each column I could have it list only the choices for that category. But since the number of categories will be changing, that becomes a little complex to deal with. Before I go that route, I wanted to make sure there wasn't an easier way to do it. It seems like there should be a way to do what I am wanting to do without any helper columns. Perhaps there's a formula I could use in the data validation that would do it? I don't have a lot of experience with data validation, so I don't quite understand all the ins & outs of it.

Any help would be appreciated.
This could help you.

Set up two sheets. (Sheet1 and Sheet2)

This is Sheet1

Data Validation question.xlsm
AB
1FruitBanana
2VeggieSquash
3DairyMilk
4VeggieGreen Beans
5FruitApple
6DairyCheese
Sheet1

Put this code into a Main Code Module.

It will create the validation lists downwards from the range specified by the rngValidationList range variable.

Where do you want to call this from and when?

Let me know if the positions of the validation lists are pre-set.

VBA Code:
Public Sub subCreateValidationLists()
Dim rngList As Range
Dim Wb As Workbook
Dim dictUnique As Object
Dim arrList() As Variant
Dim i As Integer
Dim rngValidationList As Range
Dim strList As String
Dim x As Integer

ActiveWorkbook.Save

Set dictUnique = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")

Set Wb = ThisWorkbook

' Set the cell to have the first validayion list in it.
  Set rngValidationList = Wb.Sheets("Sheet2").Range("D4")

' Set the range to form the validation list.
  Set rngList = Wb.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").CurrentRegion

arrList = rngList.Value

For i = LBound(arrList) To UBound(arrList)
    If Not dictUnique.Exists(arrList(i, 1)) Then
      dictUnique.Add key:=arrList(i, 1), Item:=dictUnique.Count + 1
    End If
  Next i

For x = 0 To dictUnique.Count - 1

strList = ""

' Write the label on the left of the validation list.
    rngValidationList.Offset(0, -1).Value = dictUnique.Keys()(x)

For i = LBound(arrList) To UBound(arrList)
      If arrList(i, 1) = dictUnique.Keys()(x) Then
        strList = strList & "," & arrList(i, 2)
      End If
    Next i

' Create the data validation in the cell.
    With rngValidationList.Validation

.Delete ' Remove any existing validation.

.Add Type:=xlValidateList, AlertStyle:=xlValidAlertStop, Operator:= _
        xlBetween, Formula1:=Mid(strList, 2)
      .InputTitle = "Select option."
      .ErrorTitle = "Error!!"
      .InputMessage = ""
      .ErrorMessage = "Please provide a valid input."

End With

Set rngValidationList = rngValidationList.Offset(1, 0)

Next x

End Sub

Upvote 0
Another suggestion (for Excel 365)

If you want, columns G, H, etc. can be hidden once the formulas have been entered.

24 10 07.xlsm
ABCDEFGHI
1FruitBanana
2VeggieSquashFruitBananaApple
3DairyMilkVeggieSquashGreen Beans
4VeggieGreen BeansDairyMilkCheese
5FruitApple
6DairyCheese
DV
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2:D4D2=UNIQUE(A1:A6)
G2:H4G2=TRANSPOSE(FILTER(B$1:B$6,A$1:A$6=D2))
Dynamic array formulas.
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
E2:E4List=G2#

1728300829080.png

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you both for your replies.

H&W - My workbook needs to work on both Windows & Mac, and I'm not sure if CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary") would work on Mac, so I've opted not to go with that idea. (I didn't have access to my Mac today to try it out.)

Peter - I ended up going with something similar to what you suggested. I tweaked it slightly, and I created a UDF to help make things a bit easier, but it's more or less the same.

Thanks again for both of your suggestions! :cool:

Upvote 0
You're welcome. Thanks for the follow-up. :)

.. and you are correct - the Scripting Dictionary would not work on a Mac.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sam1121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back