Data Row - Fill down blank rows, Data Row - Repeat

slam

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
I have a spreadsheet with ~3000 rows on it, but most are blank. Within here, I only have 140 rows with data. Sometimes there is no empty row between data rows, and sometimes there is as much as 75 rows between data rows.

Is there any way to automate the fill of blank rows with the data row above, and down to the next row that contains data, without doing this manually 140 times?

The data rows do contain columns with numbers and dates, and I do not want them to increment.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
I'd say the easiest way to do this is to add more columns that reference the columns with blank values. So if Column A has the values and blanks, you could make Column B pull the value from Column A if it's not blank, or pull from the cell above if the value from Column A is blank. This only really works if the first column has data. If you have a first row that's blank, there's no real data to reference.

For example:
slam.PNG

B2 (then drag this formula down as far as needed:
Excel Formula:
=IF(A2<>"", A2, B1)

If you're using a Table and want to use Table references, you can do the same with an OFFSET formula, but I think that can slow down your sheet because it's a dynamic reference.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back