HeRoseInThree

Board Regular
I have a spreadsheet that has my driver's names (and other data) and another spreadsheet that I use that data for.

When a driver is removed from the driver data spreadsheet, I receive an error on the other sheet...

The formula works well until I remove a driver.

The formula I use:
='[N&I Driver Data.xlsx]Driver Data'!D53
If I remove the driver in D53 I receive a #REF ! error

ANY help would be appreciated!!!

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
A useful piece of information would be to explain what you mean by this:
"When a driver is removed from the driver data spreadsheet"
My suspicion is that your meaning of "removed" means something more than the contents of cell D53 being cleared. a REF error usually occurs when a reference to a cell or range location is illogical, such as maybe if a row or column was actually deleted instead of its contents cleared. The formula under normal circumstances would otherwise return a null string (not an error) because an empty cell that contains nothing would return nothing, which is a common enough formula result.

My other question is, what the heck kind of avatar is that you have going on? Reminds me of my high school math teacher from years back after a midterm exam.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When I remove a driver (I'm dealing with truck drivers and they come and go often) so, removing the driver's data as they are no longer employed with us.

My avatar is a character from Clash of Clans, but I appreciate the math teacher reference. I had a coach or two look like that :LOL:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm glad I asked about REF error; I assumed your use of "driver" meant a hardware driver that communicates with your operating system. OK, so you mean "driver" as in the operator of a motor vehicle.

The REF error is occurring because Driver Data as the N&I workbook name, or sheet name or cell D53 of that sheet in that workbook does not exist. It's a safe bet that cell D53 ***does*** exist on the sheet so why you are getting that REF error must be because something else is going on with your workbook that you either do not know about or are not saying.

In any case, to address your immediate concern, depending on what you want the formula to return or to accomplish, this for starters might be what you want. If it isn't what result you want to achieve, you'd need to supply more information about what you are doing.

Code:
=IFERROR('[N&I Driver Data.xlsx]Driver Data'!D53,"Can't get there from here")

Upvote 0
Yes, driver as in truck driver. I never considered software driver : ) Sorry

If a driver leaves our organization, I delete their info on the driver data sheet. But, on another sheet that draws from the driver data, it then gives me the error.

Upvote 0
That gets us back to my point about what else is going on in the workbook. The way you...
• have your other sheet designed to draw driver data
• and/or how and why you delete a driver's info
• and/or why, when you know a driver's data will be deleted, your calculation does not take that possibility into account (which the IFERROR example would)...
is/are the crux(es) of the issue.

Bottom line, if the basic IFERROR function does not work for you, which I assume it does not because you didn't say that it does, then there needs to be a further explanation of how these other sheets and processes are set up.

Upvote 0
That gets us back to my point about what else is going on in the workbook. The way you...
• have your other sheet designed to draw driver data
• and/or how and why you delete a driver's info
• and/or why, when you know a driver's data will be deleted, your calculation does not take that possibility into account (which the IFERROR example would)...
is/are the crux(es) of the issue.

Bottom line, if the basic IFERROR function does not work for you, which I assume it does not because you didn't say that it does, then there needs to be a further explanation of how these other sheets and processes are set up.

I have thought about this for a while and have no idea as to how to say it a different way.

My other sheets draw data the same way "='[N&I Driver Data.xlsx]Driver Data'!D52" except the error "='[N&I Driver Data.xlsx]Driver Data'!#REF!"

I just delete the driver's data when they leave. This answers the how and why.

I know when a driver's data will be deleted when they leave.

It seems like a refresh issue, but I dunno.

I appreciate you trying to help, but I don't know how to rephrase the issue.

Upvote 0
Try this, assuming the N&I Driver Data.xlsx workbook is open at the same time because INDIRECT does not work when referencing a closed workbook.

Code:
=INDIRECT("'[N&I Driver Data.xlsx]Driver Data'!D52")

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back