Cutout People Debut In Office - 2331

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Apr 8, 2020.
New for Office 365 (soon to be called Microsoft 365) - a new series of icons, stickers, and cut-out people. That's right, 19 people, each with the background removed, each with dozens of postures and emotions. Some people are holding signs. This feature is in Excel, Word, and Power Point.
(0:01) Welcome
(0:20) New feature added to Office 365
(0:32) What is a cutout person?
(0:49) The dialog box to add icons, stickers, or cutout people
(1:10) Meet the cast
(1:45) The 52 shades of Randy
(2:10) Randy as Superman
(2:28) Searching for people by Name or Emotion
(3:03) People pointing at a cell
(3:17) People facing away from you or to the side
(3:30) Searching for doctor
(3:45) Distribution by Age of Office Cutout people?
(4:02) Microsoft 365 Renaming
(4:13) Adding text to a Sign
(4:25) Resizing cutout people to be smaller
(4:35) Adding words to a sign using a TextBox in Excel
(4:55) Rotating a textbox in Excel
(5:05) Formatting text in the sign's textbox
(5:29) Making the textbox match the white in the sign
(5:41) Rotating text box by 1 degree increments.
(6:15) Wrap-up
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Learn Excel from MrExcel Podcast episode 2331 Meet the cast of the new Office.
Hey welcome back to the MrExcel netcast. I'm Bill Jelen.
Today, something crazy that just came out, and this probably was a PowerPoint feature or a Word feature that we are just inheriting over here in the Excel team.
There's a whole bunch of new icons, stickers, and cut-out people.
What the heck is a cut out person? it is a person that you can have data behind.
So they remove the background behind that person so there's some stickers new icons lots of new icons and a whole bunch of people.
Where do we find this?It is under Insert, Illustrations, Icons. You have stock images, icons -- a whole bunch of more icons, that we've ever had before, completely searchable, a bunch of stickers like that, and then Cutout People. Check out all of these people that you can insert into your Excel spreadsheet. It is pretty wild. So I wanted to introduce you to these people that we have to choose from. Here's the cast. We have Addison.
Alexander, Angela, Arif, Babs, Carrie.
Chantel - and by the way Chantel is a doctor not a nurse -- I'll show you how we know that. Charles, Ian, James, Kairy, Kevin, Noah, Rachel, Randy, Chao, Sherri, Tamara ,and Ursula.
That's it - 19 people and for each one of these 19 people there's like 50 different options.
So here's Randy. Randy is one of the old guys in the group and I downloaded 50 different versions of Randy. So you have Randy. I just can't imagine this photo shoot here where they had Randy doing all of these crazy gestures. Irritated, Angry. Ponderous.
And for all nineteen people in the new Office, you have a whole bunch of different gestures and things like that. I think this ... Oh - look at that! That's Randy being Superman right there. I don't know how I'm gonna use these but they're there to use them and it's pretty cool because it's searchable so if we come here and we say Insert, Illustrations, Icons and go to Cutout People. The first thing you'll notice is the list of 19 people across the top is in a different order every single time so in this case Shao is first and there's all the pictures of this little kid. Tamara there's all the pictures of Tamara. You can also search for emotions. You can search for Happy.
And get all the ones where people are happy, or where they're angry. Some thumbs down. You can get everyone who's pointing. I can search for point. Everyone is pointing at a cell.
I can search for "sign". I get everyone who has a sign. There's a few where they are turning to the side. So you look for "side".
That didn't work. Hmm. I wonder what that is.
If you want the the people that are facing away from you, you can search for "back" Let's try "profile" maybe. That's it, yeah all right. So instead of "side" search for "profile" and you get someone who is looking to the left. And of course you can spin them around so they look to the right. Alright Chantel with the stethoscope. My first search for a nurse found nothing. And then I searched for doctor and Chantel shows up so we Chantel is a doctor. We don't have a backstory on a lot of these people. I did run all 19 of them through a Microsoft AI tool to figure out their age and they kind of skew kind of young.
There are a few old folks here which makes me feel better and even a couple of kids. They spent a lot of time on this feature.Who ARE these 19 people who are lucky enough to be the new cast of The Office 365. (Which, by the way, soon is going to be renamed to Microsoft 365.) But that's a story for another day.
alright so here let's actually do something practical today. Let's search for "sign" and we'll get one of these signs. So here's Randy holding a sign. I'm going to insert that into my spreadsheet.
They always come up way too large. I guess it's better to have more detail than less detail but it never really fits in my screen so we'll resize. Now, if I want to put some words on the side how do we do that? So, Insert, Illustrations, this time go to Shapes and choose the Text Box shape. Then draw a text box You see that Randy is holding that sign a little bit crooked all right.
But we can use the rotate handle to make our text box match his sign. And then just type something. All right now we have that text. Change the color.
Increase the font size. Center both vertically and horizontally. Maybee go to a nice thick font like. "Hi I'm Randy".
And you have to kind of be careful, because sometimes in picture the white isn't the same white as what we get in the shape.
So I found that you have to go to Shape Format, Shape Outline, No Outline. And then Shape Fill, No Fill. Then it will be transparent and match.
It's not really lined up really well. I guess if we took the shape right up to the top and then rotate it. There's I'm sure there's a better way to rotate that by degrees. Here More Rotation Options, Rotation. So there we are. So that's one degree angles so under Rotation, More Rotation Options and then you can increase it or decrease it like that. Boy, for a funny little feature here, it's crazy how much you can actually talk about it so that's that's it the new Icon, Stickers and Cutout people. I went to the Excel team saying "Wow, these are cool. Is it true they're going to be the stars of a Netflix Original series this fall? And they said Yeah, sure, all right" ... So the new cast of Office. If you like these tips please subscribe and ring that bell. Feel free to post any questions or comments down in the Comments below.
My new book MrExcel 2020 Seeing Excel Clearly. Click the "i" in the top right hand corner for more information about that book. I want to thank you for stopping by. I will see you next time for another netcast from MrExcel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuziMacca

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back