Customer Rebate Options

wssidhom

Hello all,
I am reachiung out to you in order to see if anyone uses Access to maintain customer rebates based on their sales volumes.

Right now, we have about 180 customers that have rebates and maintaining them is an absolute nightmare due to all the exceptions within each customer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Hi, can you provide some examples of the varying types of rebates? Are there %'s, thresholds, limits, a requirement to exceed last years sales, no rebates on certain products and so forth? Also how is the relevant data organised in your database?
Andrew :)

Upvote 0
Andrew,
Thanks for the quick reply.

Currently I don't have a database that I'm working off. There are plenty of various excel spreadsheets that I'm using and cross referencing in order to get the stuff done.

The main issues are:
1) The administrative maintenance of all the rebates since they are entered in ERP system as well as maintenance of signed copies for audit reasons.

2) Some rebates have exceptions. For example, customer Joe will get a rebate on everything except product X.

3) The rebates are tiered...if customer Joe buys $1 million, then he gets 3%, if he buys $2 million, he gets 3% on 1st million and 4% on second million, or other instances, if he gets the $2 million, he would get 4% on the whole $2 million.

4) Other rebates are based on volume...customer gets 30 cents on each gallon purchased.

5) When it comes to calculate the rebates to payout, some large customers expect to get the rebate divided between several regional operations.

Thanks for your hlep.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Apologies in advance for the long answer but this required a bit of thought outside of the Access "arena" - especially since you have not yet started to build a database.

I don't think this is a platform / software problem (i.e. Excel versus Access) but instead I think it might be more of an administration and organisation problem. By "organisation" I mean simply that - being organised with the data sources and calculations. To use a phrase from your 2nd post, it is the "administrative maintenance" of the rebates which I think is the issue.

To build a rebate calculation database will require considerable organisation of the data into logical groupings, expressing the rebates mathematically, having the imported data in the right format in the right place at the right time and so forth. If all of these tasks have to be done before you set up your Access database, then have a think about how easy your existing Excel system would be if the same efforts went into ensuring it was set up to process rebate calculations quickly and efficiently. Then calculating the rebates in Excel might not be half the task that it currently appears to be.

Transferring the methodology across to Access will not necessarily make it any more streamlined or easier. In fact, if you migrated a disorganised Excel system to Access then I think you would actually be worse off as you not only grapple with the "administration maintenance", but also grapple with Access. The best way to make using an Access database simple and easy would be to automate the import of sales data from the ERP system into the database combined with well defined rules for the rebate calculations.

If you were to use a database then some of the tables that you would require include : customers (including regional information), sales values and volumes by (regional) customer by product group by period, product groups, periods, rebate logic per customer and so forth. After data import routines and organistion, the next hardest part would be the rebate logic, i.e. trying to build a set of criteria to accommodate all of the possible combinations of possible rebate structures. Keep in mid that this is a lot of effort to achieve what can already be achieved in Excel.

I started to design a single formula in Excel to calculate the rebate given a variety of criteria, that I could then transform into an Access formula. The Excel formula was based on a choice of value or volume with up to 2 thresholds where the rebate for the last threshold could either be an incremental rebate only or for all sales (i.e. your 4% on the entire $2m example). This might not sound like much but the formula ended up quite long and very complex. These were basic criteria that I used and the formula would be infinitely more complex if we introduced more thresholds, a rebate limit, scaled rebates and so forth. This could be programmed into Access but it wouldn't be as simple as using Excel.

It was while I was creating this formula I came to the conclusion that Excel would be the better tool for calculating the rebates. So where would Access fit in with this? Maybe it could be used to help with the administration - i.e. you might use Access to set up a rebate register which would act as a periodic prompt or centralised control. This would help to ensure you had all of the right bits of data in the right place at the right time - in other words, the "administration maintenance". But then you don't need Access to do this - Excel works just as well, if not better, at this sort of task.

Lastly, if you can accurately describe the problem (or in this case the problems of the administration of the multitude of rebates) to yourself then the answer as to how to deal with this problem should present itself. So you might want to ask yourself what is the real issue that you are grappling with?

HTH, Andrew. :)

Upvote 0
Andrew,
You posed some very intersting questions and issues that I need to address.

I agree with you 100%. Thanks for your insightful information.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iours

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back