Custom sorting in report

smeco

Board Regular
I have a report with a list of payments to make
I need to make the list sorted accordingly to how the payments are presented for signature, so this is very random and doesn't depend on any of the fields
what's the quickest way of moving things in the order I want?

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
If there is no rhyme or reason to the sorting order than you would need to create some sort of manual order field that you can populate and then sort on this field.

Upvote 0
But is there a way of doing this directly from the report?
If possible, I'd like to avoid having to go back to the table, insert all the values manually and then re-open the report - the ideal I guess would be a simple drag&drop operation but that's probably impossible...

Upvote 0
Once you have created the report, it is already too late. You cannot move them around once it has been created. There is no clicking and dragging. You must tell Access how to sort the reports via some sort of logic (i.e. based on some field value).

I would probably add a field to your table, something like "MySort". Then you can create a Form to edit this field. Then have your report sort on this field.

Upvote 0
however, since the data comes from a union query, I'm not allowed to enter data in the form - any idea how to get around this?
thanks
smeco

Upvote 0
Hmmm...

I am beginning to see the dilemna. I am unsure how to update values through a Union Query. You could create forms for each query/table that makes up the Union Query, but that isn't too efficient.

You could also make your Union Query a Make Table Query, to create a new table of data with the intent of only using to produce the reports (you could then update the fields), but that isn't the most efficient thing either.

Are you sure is no logic to the ordering of these reports?

Upvote 0
no, the ordering simply depends on which payment gets prepared first etc etc...

btw, what's a Make Table Query?!

thank you very much!

Upvote 0
Can you capture the prepared date/time and use that for sorting purposes?

Upvote 0
m I guess, although it would have to be entered just for that reason - the preparing is 'physical' ie putting all the papers together etc

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deasejm

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back