Custom Lists To Fill Excel Data - With Ann K. Emery - 2406

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on May 13, 2021.
I recently made a guest appearance in Ann K Emery's class on data visualization. Over the course of an hour, I showed a few Excel tricks. This one, about Custom Lists was recently discussed in the YouTube comments for another video.
Check out Ann's blog: Blog | Depict Data Studio
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Learn Excel from MrExcel Podcast Episode 2406. Custom list to Fill Excel data.
Well, hey something different today. I made a guest appearance on Ann K.
Emery’s class on data visualization training.
We had a nice conversation for an hour and there was some Excel tips I showed there.
I thought they might be interesting as podcast episodes and Anne was nice enough to let me post them here on the YouTube channel.
So here's a discussion about using custom list to fill Excel data.
Be sure to check out Ann’s blog at https://depictdatastudio.com/blog/.
Let's get started OK, So what I have over here is I'm going to put in Andy and I have a custom list already created here with a bunch of names like that.
Kirsten says wow, in all caps that is amazing. I'm having the same reaction watching you.
I absolutely love watching other people work in Excel.
I create fake datasets on the fly all the time and so I have these datasets saved so I can create fake data really fast. Alabama. Yes, right?
And this is a cool trick.
You everyone has a list that you have to type all the time.
Maybe a list of the territories in Kenya or a list of the Departments at the University of Montana, right?
You have that list and you need that list over and over and over.
All you have to do is type your list. Type the list of people or anything.
And select that list. The list has to be at least two as long as 250.
Select the list and go into File, Options. Oh, jeez. In File, Options, it is crazy.
We have all these categories on the left hand side. The Advanced one is the longest one.
This is like 18 miles long.
Go all the way down to the bottom and there's something there called Edit Custom Lists and you can just import Ann, Bill, Carla, And now it will be able to generate that list very quickly.
You know, I know everyone knows this for Sunday, Monday, Tuesday or January, February, March, but you can add your own list of things out here and you can even sort by that list if you have to sort into some weird sequence. Pivot tables will sort by that list.
So using using the custom list is one of those cool little deep tricks that you know is buried in there, but it has all kinds of great uses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hglymph

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back