Custom Data Validation drop downs dependent on a cell value

Chrissy_M

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all, I wish to create custom data validation drop downs for a large data source.
Each row has a unique category that has 6 rating options and these are tabled in a separate sheet of reference data
I have been able to create unique identifiers, based on rating number and combine it with the unique category to populate the description of the rating, no problem.
What I'm struggling with is reversing this logic to provide a custom drop down list of the 6 rating options related only to that unique category.

To put it into perspective, I have nearly 200 unique categories, each with 6 rating options, which are all unique descriptions of the rating.

I'm hoping that I can find a way to get the drop down to recognise which category it is in and only show the 6 rating options relative to that category.

If anyone can help I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Some sample data and a picture of what you're trying to achieve, with an example is always helpful and you're more likely to get an answer.
You could also try looking up 'dependent dropdown list'.

Upvote 0
Colum C autofilled based on Column A
Each Position has 6 optional ratings, detailed in second image.
Methodology required to create drop down in H2, dependent on ratings options available dependent on what value appears in column C.
I have thought about using unique identifiers, but not yet finalised this thought process because the dependent tables seemed a bit challenging as some of the criteria score details might have the same value, even different positions have shared values, so I need a way to differentiate 3 x different lists.
Ultimately the criteria selected for the position/aspect being assessed will populate a criteria score (1-6) that relates to the criteria score detail chosen. Hope that makes sense?

1720759770817.png

1720759850358.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Create a table somewhere as shown below in J1:O7 which will be your validation table, then create named ranges for each column based on the position. For example, named range "_ABC1" covers J2:J7 etc. You can do this quickly by selecting J1:O7, then Formulas->Defined Names group->Create from selection->Check 'Top row' only and click ok.

Book1
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP
1PositionCriteria Score Details_ABC1_ABC2_ABC3_ABC4_ABC5_ABC6
2_ABC1As new conditionABC2Criteria1<10%ABC4Criteria1ABC5Criteria1ABC6Criteria1
3_ABC2Protective enclosure/coating soundABC2Criteria2<25%ABC4Criteria2ABC5Criteria2ABC6Criteria2
4_ABC3ABC1Criteria3ABC2Criteria3<50%ABC4Criteria3ABC5Criteria3ABC6Criteria3
5_ABC4ABC1Criteria4ABC2Criteria4<75%ABC4Criteria4ABC5Criteria4ABC6Criteria4
6_ABC5ABC1Criteria5ABC2Criteria5>75%ABC4Criteria5ABC5Criteria5ABC6Criteria5
7_ABC6ABC1Criteria6ABC2Criteria6FailedABC4Criteria6ABC5Criteria6ABC6Criteria6
Sheet1
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
H2:H7List=INDIRECT($C2)
Then in H2, for data validation, set Allow to List, and Source as =INDIRECT($C2) and copy it down.
1720769941034.png

Now when you select the dropdown in H it will show a list based on whatever is in column C on that row.

1720770109558.png

Note: For reasons I haven't yet determined Excel refused to let me make named ranges called ABC1, ABC2 etc so I had to add the underscore in front. The important thing is that the values for Position exactly match the names of the named ranges.
Edit: ABC1, 2 etc cannot be used for range names because they are also a valid cell reference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Create a table somewhere as shown below in J1:O7 which will be your validation table, then create named ranges for each column based on the position. For example, named range "_ABC1" covers J2:J7 etc. You can do this quickly by selecting J1:O7, then Formulas->Defined Names group->Create from selection->Check 'Top row' only and click ok.

Book1
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP
1PositionCriteria Score Details_ABC1_ABC2_ABC3_ABC4_ABC5_ABC6
2_ABC1As new conditionABC2Criteria1<10%ABC4Criteria1ABC5Criteria1ABC6Criteria1
3_ABC2Protective enclosure/coating soundABC2Criteria2<25%ABC4Criteria2ABC5Criteria2ABC6Criteria2
4_ABC3ABC1Criteria3ABC2Criteria3<50%ABC4Criteria3ABC5Criteria3ABC6Criteria3
5_ABC4ABC1Criteria4ABC2Criteria4<75%ABC4Criteria4ABC5Criteria4ABC6Criteria4
6_ABC5ABC1Criteria5ABC2Criteria5>75%ABC4Criteria5ABC5Criteria5ABC6Criteria5
7_ABC6ABC1Criteria6ABC2Criteria6FailedABC4Criteria6ABC5Criteria6ABC6Criteria6
Sheet1
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
H2:H7List=INDIRECT($C2)
Then in H2, for data validation, set Allow to List, and Source as =INDIRECT($C2) and copy it down.
View attachment 114014

Now when you select the dropdown in H it will show a list based on whatever is in column C on that row.

View attachment 114015

Note: For reasons I haven't yet determined Excel refused to let me make named ranges called ABC1, ABC2 etc so I had to add the underscore in front. The important thing is that the values for Position exactly match the names of the named ranges.
Edit: ABC1, 2 etc cannot be used for range names because they are also a valid cell reference.
Hi there, I tested this methodology but had nothing listed in the drop down options and I'm unsure why?
I placed the table reference for positions on a different worksheet as there are approximately 600 position rows each with 6 rating options, so quite a lot.
Do you know why the drop down might be blank?

Upvote 0
Not really without a bit more detail. Are you able to share your workbook (anonymised if necessary) by uploading it to a site such as OneDrive or Dropbox and posting a link?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvp2262

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back