Cumulative Deposits in Indian Banks and TDS thereon

vsuram

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Indian Banks accept amounts for varying periods at varying rates of interest on a cumulative basis, the principal and accrued interest thereon being repaid on maturity date.
The maturity amount is calculated for completed quarters on the basis of compounding formula with quarterly rests and on such amount simple interest is calculated for the balance no. of days using ptr/100.
An example is appended. I cross checked with a few deposits I have and this seems to be the case.
Tax Deducted at Source (TDS) complicates the issue. During the currency of the deposit at the end of every financial year as on 31st Mar, from out of the interest earned from 1/4/YY to 31/3/(YY+!) tax is deducted at 10% and available principal for the following year is reduced to that extent. TDS is also affected on the date of the maturity. In the example I have given TDS has to be deducted 31/3/25 and on 21/3/26.
How do we get such breakup?

Essentially the calculator should have as many columns as the no. of financial years and i feel that the calculator should reflect the same maturity amount as earlier if we take TDS rate as 0%. with TDS the maturity amount would be lower as the amount used up for TDS in earlier FYs is not available for earning interest. Pl help
STDRMATCAL.xlsx
AB
1STDR MAT CAL
3Start date 03-09-2024
4Mat Date21-03-2026
5Principal1000000
6ROI10.00%
7No. of months 18
8No. of qrs6
9Quarter End Date03-03-2026
10Bal no. of days18
11Maturity Amount1165412.45
Sheet1

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
A mere breakup into several columns would reduce the total number of completed quarters and increase days in broken quarters there by reducing the overall interest yield

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back