CS - The spreadsheet

Arcady

Greetings all. I've just recently registered, and this is obviously my first post. I've been reading a number of the posts and responses here, and this seems to be a friendly place. I don't use Excel in any professional manner, but rather it has become my creative outlet. I'm currently working on a very complex workbook, and I would like to have the opportunity to maintain a discussion of various things about it here in this thread if at all possible. Due to the ever-increasing complexity, and my desire to learn and discuss solutions, I expect this will remain a fairly active thread for some time. If this is not acceptable, just let me know and I'll be on my way, no hard feelings. I'm not trying to be rude or curt in any manner, but I want to make my intentions clear before I get too comfortable. A little later tonight I'll post my current issue and what it is I'm trying to accomplish. I look forward to working with you all, and perhaps you guys can help spark my creativity.

Arcady,

Welcome to the MrExcel board.

When you come back to your post, you may want to consider (the following could help):

Please post a screenshot of your sheet(s), what you have and what you expect to achieve, with Excel Jeanie HTML 4 (contains graphic instructions).
http://www.excel-jeanie-html.de/html/hlp_schnell_en.php

Or, if your file does not contain sensitive information, you can upload it to www.box.net and provide a link to your workbook.

Welcome to the Board!

Feel free to post, that's why we're all here.

A note on your stated approach though: try to keep relevant topics to one thread each. Just as you've had some luck searching past posts, we want the same for your posts. Having everything lumped into one thread can make it difficult to follow over time. It will also make it a ***** to try to search your posts by topic if everything is in one.

However, on the flip side of that we don't want a bunch of threads in which nearly identical/related questions are asked. ;)

Looking forward to your first question!

P.S. I'm moving this to the About the Board forum.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the warm welcome.

I'll go ahead and split it up as I can. It will be difficult sometimes for me to figure out what you need to know, so just bear with me a bit. I'll be sure to post screen-shots wherever applicable.

ZoneAlarm is blocking me from Box.net, and I'm not sure I want to over-ride it ;) I'll find somewhere to upload it to eventually though. Just an FYI, it's about 5megs uncompressed.

ZoneAlarm is blocking me from Box.net, and I'm not sure I want to over-ride it

Box.net is pretty well trusted, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

As what I'd probably call a casual user (for now), it'll be interesting to find out why your wb is 5MB though.

One of the things many of us stress here is finding efficiencies, so I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised at what might turn up.

And don't necessarily worry about having to provide a literal example of what you need; if you can explain it succinctly and give a formula/code you're using, then most times someone can run with that.

Well, this is a very active forum indeed. I posted my first question late last night, and it's already made it to page 5. Just for reference this is the link: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426342

Is it ok that I'm continuing to post here, in the About the Board forum? Doesn't feel quite right. In any case, it's so large due to the large number of formulas I'm using to predict each statistic for each turn. A number of them can be condensed I'm sure, but I'm keeping them spread across a few cells while I continue to add functions. It may very well be that there are far more elegant formulas that I can use to describe these statistics and that is part of the reason I'm here.

I don't know that I'd call myself a 'casual user' though ;) but I also know I have a lot to learn about the construction of formulas. I fear that some of the things that I've done may be a trial for anyone else to figure out, so please let me know what I can do to shed light on the subject. Just a quick note, you can remove the word "debug" from Overview!Q3 to clean up some of the cells and make it a little more readable. This function has not been applied to all of my 'hidden' cells just yet, but I'm expanding it. Part of my goal as well is to turn Excel into a user-friendly application rather than a spreadsheet, so that even people that aren't used to Excel can use and understand it. Anyhow, this project has been a great deal of fun for me over the last few months and I really hope to be able to make it work as I envision. Thanks for reading!

I posted my first question late last night, and it's already made it to page 5.

If you feel like your post has fallen too far back without response, you can just reply to it with "BUMP" as the message.

And if you haven't gotten a response, you might think about restating the question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ang24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back