Cross referencing data- HELP!

drinkonthemoon

I'm conducting a report, where I have a list of registered students (over 10,000) with their student numbers and date of births. I have been given another list (of 6,000 students who all hold a certain type of card). I need to check that out of the 6000 students, that they are still registered with the school (and thus still able to have the card) by cross-referencing their student numbers.

How can I do this without "finding" them all one by one and marking them as still valid?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Assuming you list of 10,000 students is in tab1 with student numbers in C2:C10002 and your list of 6,000 students is in tab 2 student numbers in D2:D6002.

On tab 2 in a convenient empty column i.e F. in F2 type =vlookup(F2,Tab1!$c$2:$C$10002,1,0) and copy down the 6000 rows. If the student number in F2 is in the list in tab 1 it will return the same number if not you get #N/A.

You could tidy it up with =if(iserror(vlookup(F2,Tab1!$c$2:$C$10002,1,0)),"No","Yes") this will show YES and NO for in the list or not in the list of 10,000.

Things to watch out for, 1 The format and syntax of both sets of numbers MUST be the same. 2. It only tells you that the student number exists in the 10,000 list not that its the same student. So if the same number can be issued to more than one student you're in trouble. 3 There should not be duplicate student numbers in either list.

Good Luck

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back