Criteria Date > #MM/DD/YYYY# Giving Me Data Type Mismatch

xljunkie

Board Regular
TableEQP has a field called SoldDate as Double and comes with numbers like 0, 20141215, 20150403, etc.

In a query, I am doing this:

SoldDate2: IIf([SoldDate]=0,"",DateSerial(Left([SoldDate],4),Left(Right([SoldDate],4),2),Right([SoldDate],2)))

When I look at the results, it looks fine. Dates look like dates, and if there was a 0 populated in TableEQP, it is returning a blank record. Now, when I attempt to add in a criteria >#8/31/2014# the query doesn't run and gives me Data Type Mismatch. What can I do? I know this error happens with formatting.

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
I don't think it likes the fact you are returning a non-date value for some records (the "" returns a non-date value).
Try returning a date that will never be returned by your criteria, i.e. so artificially small date, like:
Code:
[COLOR=#333333]SoldDate2: IIf([SoldDate]=0,DateSerial(1900,1,1),DateSerial(Left([SoldDate],4),Mid([SoldDate],4,2),Right([SoldDate],2)))[/COLOR]

BTW, Access has a MID function. So this:
Left(Right([SoldDate],4),2)
can be replaced by:
Mid([SoldDate],4,2)

Upvote 0
Yeah I tried that earlier and many other variations. None of them worked. But what ended up working for me was changing my query to a make table query and using the resulting table. Then I could filter just fine.

Upvote 0
My apologies, I had a typo in my formula. Using the MID function, we would be starting at the 5th position, not the 4th.
So just use:
Code:
[COLOR=#333333]SoldDate2: IIf([SoldDate]=0,DateSerial(1900,1,1),DateSerial(Left([SoldDate],4),Mid([SoldDate],[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]5[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333],2),Right([SoldDate],2)))[/COLOR]

I tested it out on the examples that you gave, and it works.

If it still does not work, that is probably indicative of a data show, i.e. a blank entry or other entry that cannot be converted to a date.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samue Thon Ajaladin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back