Critera for DLookup

RBoshears

I have this formula in the ControlSource section of a textbox within a form. I am attempting to populate the box with field information based on input from a combobox earlier in the form. The first two pieces of this formula works, but I can't get it to work using the criteria portion. Am I using faulty syntax somewhere? :oops:

=DLookUp(" [ItemDescription] ","tblNewItemSKUs2004 = ' " & [New Item UPC] & " ' ")

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Looks OK at first glance, I would check the value being returned by the ComboBox as often the first column is a numeric ID field which is hidden and the Descriptive Column which you see is not the one retuned by the control but the Number ID.

Upvote 0
DLookup needs:

-The field you want returned
-The table you are looking in
-The "WHERE" criteria

Your example seems to be missing the table. So it should be something like:

=DLookUp("[ItemDescription]","tblNewItemSKUs2004", "[UPC] = '" & [New Item UPC] & "'")

You also don't want spaces before or after the single quotes, or before or after [ItemDescription].

Hope this helps,

Russell

Upvote 0
One More thing

Thanks for your help!! It now populates with a value. Now I need it to automatically change when the criteria changes. Here is the updated formula. Do I need a change here or an adjustment in one of the properties? Thanks again.

=DLookUp("[ItemDescription]","tblNewItemSKUs2004","[tblNewItemSKUs2004]![UPC]=Form![New Item UPC]")

Upvote 0
If you want it to change when "New Item UPC" changes on your form, then put code in the AfterUpdate event of "New Item UPC" on your form. Also, you don't need to have [tblNewItemSKUs2004]![UPC], just [UPC], since you've already told DLookup what table to look in. So in a nutshell, you'd probably want code something like this:
Code:
Private Sub New_Item_UPC_AfterUpdate()
    Me.txtSomeTextBox = DLookup("[ItemDescription]", "tblNewItemSKUs2004" _
        , "[UPC]=" & Me.New_Item_UPC)
End Sub
If you do this, delete the Control Source of the textbox as this will now populate it.

Hope this helps,

Russell

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ang24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back