Creativity Survey - Originality of Text Data

mwhite17

Hi,

I'm trying to analyse some data for a creativity survey.

Respondents were asked to generate as many ideas for a film title.

I have around 4000 different responses, and I want to assess the uniqueness of each one by finding out the percentage of respondents that said the same, or a very similar idea. I had used pivot so far, but it only matches cells that are exactly the same.

I have since been using COUNTIF to pick up ideas that contain frequently used words, but doing this for each idea is taking a very long time. I was wondering if someone might know of a faster way of doing this?

Also, I have collated all the respondents ideas into one column of data to easily sort through. Once I have the percentages in an adjacent column, I want to use some sort of formula to lookup the ideas from the raw data tab, to this column, and then for it to transfer the percentage number, back onto the participants tab.

Thanks,
Matt

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
nametitlebearsAlaskaAlaskansalmonrunAmazingfishingNaturalsummerharddayscount of "X"
name1bears in AlaskaXX2
name2Alaskan bearsXXX3
name3the salmon runXX2
name4Amazing fishing bearsXXX3
name5Natural AlaskaXX2
name6Alaskan summerXXX3
name7bears in AlaskaXX2
name8Alaskan bearsXXX3
name9the salmon runXX2
name10Amazing fishing bearsXXX3
name11Natural AlaskaXX2
name12Alaskan summerXXX3
name13bears in AlaskaXX2
name14Alaskan bearsXXX3
name15the salmon runXX2
name16Amazing fishing bearsXXX3
name17Natural AlaskaXX2
name18Alaskan summerXXX3
name19A hard days fishingXXX3
name20Fishing in AlaskaXX2
counting key words might be a start

<colgroup><col><col><col span="11"><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
This is pretty much what I have been doing so far but it's taking forever.

And also, I won't be summing up the respondents scores, but the number of times bear is mentioned, for example.

Then if Bear has been mentioned by half the sample, then everyone who wrote Bear will get a very low mark for submitting it.

Thanks,
Matt

Upvote 0
Is there a way to search for the most common text strings within cells? For example, say I have cells such as

Bear

Watch out for the Bear

Here come's a Bear

Is there any formula I could use, which finds the most common letter combinations, and then the second most and so on?

Thanks,
Matt

Upvote 0
What is the criteria for judging creativity? It seems that commonly used works are looked down on. If a user came up with the title, "The Last Frontier". It would score very high on creativity since it has not touched any of your commonly used words.

Upvote 0
What is the criteria for judging creativity? It seems that commonly used works are looked down on. If a user came up with the title, "The Last Frontier". It would score very high on creativity since it has not touched any of your commonly used words.

The criteria is just how unique the idea is compared to the rest of the sample. How good the idea is isn't being assessed.

I found this code which works, the only problem is it picks out every single individual word in a column. This is pretty useful, but I'll still have to go through and delete the useless words, such as 'and' 'the' etc.

How to find most frequent used words from text string : excel

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back