creating the impossible dream

killerleaf

Board Regular
ok, I have seen this done, so I know it can happen...but I have this awful feeling that it is going to take more knowledge than I possess. Please, can someone let me know if this is possible in access? (it has been done on a Mac...)(using hypercard)(trying to get rid of the MAC)

Here is the scenario:

I work in a hospital. one of the things that we track for certain patients is their pain scores....these range from 0 to 10. any given patient can have anywhere from 1 to 100 of these individual scores.

I need a way to enter each of these scores for each patient, and have them counted, (one field) and averaged (another field). One each individual patient, not as a group. So, kinda like this:

John Doe MRN#0000000

total #7 average #1.42

The patient info does come from another table. There will be times when a patient has multiple entries, (from different dates) However, I need to figure out how to do the pain scores.

Any input, positive or negative, will be appreciated very, very, very much.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Play around with the "Report" design wizard. About 3 screens in, you will have an opportunity to hit a button (I recall) called "Summary Options." Bang it and click in the desired sums, etc. (>=1 grouping categories are required, BTW)

(In the future, if you forget to push that horrid button, and you make reports with the wizard, you will be suitably punished in inconvenience for your oversight.)

It sounds like all that you want is available in basic Access reports by just grouping on Patient number. But probably not without your hitting a 30-Day or Que book :cry:

Upvote 0
Hullo. Another way to do this would be to set up a query somewhat like this:
Code:
SELECT PatientList.Name, Count(PatientList.PainLvl) AS CountOfPainLvl, Avg(PatientList.PainLvl) AS AveragePainLvl
FROM PatientList
GROUP BY PatientList.Name;

Change the table and field names to match your situation, and that should get you very close to what you want.

HTH

P

Upvote 0
ok, these sound doable....now, for the next question......

how do I set it up to enter the pain scores to begin with? it really needs to be as a form....

Upvote 0
Hullo. Best way in my mind would be to set up another table for PainLvl, relate it to PatientName in some manner, and run it as a subform.

HTH

P

Upvote 0
killerleaf said:
Please be patient with me, I am still new at this...

:) No pun intended, I assume? Now, for lots of information on Access, try using it's inline help. Hit F1, and type SUBFORM. I'm really not trying to be p!ssy here, but, it really is the best way to learn. You may find that most of your questions are answered in there. And, it will get you more familiar with Access, and something may stick that you'll use later. Further, it will broaden your knowledge of Access, so, when you have a problem you CAN'T solve yourself, you'll be better able to express precisely what is wrong, and what you want. I've found that I often have difficulities explaining what I'm trying to do, until I get as close as I can, with the help of F1. Then, after figuring out where the problem is, I can use the Access specific lingo on the various help boards, and those kind enough to help will have an easier time.

Now, you'd figure, that in the length of this post, I could have described what a subform is: a subform is a form within a form. See? The dictionary definition isin't exactly helpful. F1 can be your friend, if you give it a chance! :cool:

HTH

P

Upvote 0
oh...ok.

F1 has helped me quite a bit, up until I hit a point where I am not sure what I am looking for..plus, I honestly don't believe that the entire help stuff has been loaded, (would not surprise me any)....but cool, I really appreciate your help!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyFlower

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back