Creating line breaks in line charts

nebffa

Board Regular
Hi all, using Excel 2010 here. Time to time at work, I come across a spreadsheet that needs to be updated that people I work with like nicely formatted. We look at data over a number of years, so one thing they like is when the line graphs have 'breaks' in the line, to indicate the next year. E.g. 4 columns for 2008, then 4 for 2009, etc.

When you want to add the next year of data, however, this breaks the nice formatting, because it was done in what seems to be the only way to do it (see below).

Select a data point in the graph by clicking it,

brokenq.png

Then right click it, go to "Format Data Point". Then "Line Color" and select "Solid Line", thus filling the point with colour and telling Excel "hey, this point is filled with colour, connect it with adjacent points that have colour".

Here I am doing the process of changing a 'blank' point to a line, and you can do the reverse by reversing the steps (thanks captain obvious nebffa).

broken2d.png

Needless to say, this is a pain in the ***. Is there are a better way to create these artificial 'breaks' in the page? Bonus points if it can be done that naturally and gracefully evolves as new years are added in.

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
If you right mouse-click the chart and select "Select Data", you will see "Hidden and empty cells" at the bottom left. Here you can choose to show hidden and empty cells as 'gaps'. All you then need are hidden columns or empty cells between your 'sets' of data.

Upvote 0
Wow. So simple haha, but thankyou thankyou thankyou THANKYOU!!! I told my co-worker and he was also delighted to see we didn't have to do this manually.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
terrynelson55

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back