creating dropdown list

ttowncorp

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
im trying to create a dropdown list were for example if i pick "bus-1234" the information under that changes as well. i'm trying to track 1616 buses with ongoing service issues. so i need a 365 rows with 4 columns. "A" will be the column numbers 1-365. "B" column is the date, "C" column is the problem and "D" column is the diagnosis all seperated by thick box borders. problem and diagnosis is nine rows height, 7 column wide with "merge to center" selected. big enough so i can add information in these cells. is this possible?

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Where is bus-1234 linked to other "information"? Give an example what data will be displayed when the user selects this?
I am suspecting you will be displaying 365 rows of data (associated with bus-1234) showing each day of service?

Upvote 0
@ttowncorp
Hello!
I like this trick but I don't understand all of the issue It was nice to see a spreadsheet sample instead to use 1000s of words
Can you post a screenshot with just few rows and colunms with the expected outcome so we can understand better?
help us to help you
Thank you in advance!

Upvote 0
Where is bus-1234 linked to other "information"? Give an example what data will be displayed when the user selects this?
I am suspecting you will be displaying 365 rows of data (associated with bus-1234) showing each day of service?
I'm trying to have were is say bus-1234 if i change in a dropdown to bus 1235 the field at the bottom changes to that bus and information. this information is put in sometimes daily or just when issues happen. so is there a way to create a list starting off blank of course but with 1616 buses and when i change the bus field the information at the bottom changes as well to the information that was put in for that bus field.
[TABLE="class: grid, width: 500, align: left"]
<TBODY>[TR]
[TD] BUS-1234[/TD]
[/TR]
</TBODY>[/TABLE]

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 500"]
<TBODY>[TR]
[TD]total issues[/TD]
[TD]DATE[/TD]
[TD]PROBLEM[/TD]
[TD]DIAGNOSIS[/TD]
[TD]REPAIR[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]1/30/15[/TD]
[TD]BRAKE FAILURE[/TD]
[TD]ISSUE WITH FAILED ROTORS[/TD]
[TD]REPLACED ROTORS[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]2/1/15[/TD]
[TD]LEFT BLINKER BLOWN[/TD]
[TD]FAILED BULB[/TD]
[TD]REPLACED BULB[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
</TBODY>[/TABLE]

Upvote 0
im not seeing an option to attach a screen shot or pic. only url links

Upvote 0
If this is for display purposes only, you can save the data on another sheet and have it display here when the user selects the BUS#
But if you want the user to be able to enter/input data for the next day/row, you will need to use VBA and perhaps a "SAVE" button. If you are interested, I could provide a sample you can download from my site.

Upvote 0
VBA is probably going to be the most simple solution as Roderick suggested. Otherwise you are going to need to do some sort of master data tab, and then a lookup sheet that uses lookups to populate the information. But that sounds like it could get ugly.

Upvote 0
If this is for display purposes only, you can save the data on another sheet and have it display here when the user selects the BUS#
But if you want the user to be able to enter/input data for the next day/row, you will need to use VBA and perhaps a "SAVE" button. If you are interested, I could provide a sample you can download from my site.

that would be great. i'm not good in coding much in excel as of using marcos and such. I will need to be able to input data into the fields for each separate bus. i'm tracking 1616. but if you can get only two or so working i'm sure i can copy and repaste the code to make it up to 1616.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bekerinik

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back